Light Guage String Set Recommendation

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gilmourisgod

Light Guage String Set Recommendation

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I like to bend the strings a lot in the upper registers (the Dusty End), looking for a well balanced string set in a lighter guage, ideally .035 in the G string. I always used to use stainless roundwounds on my old 4001, and it chewed the frets up pretty good (the funk slapping didn't help much either). I like stainless cause they seem to last longer, but don't want to chew up the frets on a brand new 4003! Are the 4003 frets the same soft nickel silver as the 4001? Advice appreciated.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: Light Guage String Set Recommendation

Post by Ashgray »

I'd recommend Elixir Nanoweb strings - they're available in light gauges, won't chew your frets up as they're coated (but still reasonably bright) and they are also available in stainless steel. I find them quite bendable (if that's the word!). I have a set of these on my 4001/v63 and they sound real nice with the old toaster and genuine horsie on that bass!

The lightest stainless steel sets are 40-60-75-95, whilst the lightest nickel sets are 45-65-80-100.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Same frets as always.

I highly recommend trying Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds (JR344). Nickel plated, they don't eat up the frets, and are really soft and bend effortlessly. I love how they sound on my '73 and the old hairpin truss rods are happy too.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

+1 on the JR344, I have been using them for many years now.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard about the Thomastiks, never tried them. Are they really worth the price? The $65-$75 pricetag is a bit rich for my blood, but if they last three or four times as long as other strings, they may be worth it.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I have had the best of luck with GHS Progressives on my 4002 for the last 20 years, until I decided that my fingers needed a break and went with D'Addario Tapes.

The Progressives come in a "35" set, they are almost as bright as stainless, last a long time, don't chew frets as badly as SS (my 4002 was my main gigging bass for over a decade, and has not had significant fret wear), are economical in price, and the "alloy 52" interacts really well with the pickups.

If I got a gig tomorrow that needed to play heavier styles or pop-and-slap, I'd go back to the Progressives immediately.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Progre ... c_173.html
T28

Post by T28 »

I like Fodera Strings and use their 40-95 set.
I also like the Kalium Balanced Strings.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Only strings I use are DR Hellborg signature strings; 40-60-80-100.
The single-wrap of nickel feels a little different than double-wrap strings, but the tone makes-up for it, and I got used to it pretty quickly.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T28 wrote:I like Fodera Strings and use their 40-95 set.
I actually have the Vic Wooten strings on my Glenn Frey bass! :mrgreen:
chromium

Post by chromium »

D'Addario makes a set of extra light nickel rounds (40-95). EXL-220s. I've had good experience with that set on octave basses, and the EXL-170s (100s) are my mainstay on the 4 strings. Low cost, and they last a long time for me.
ram

Post by ram »

I have been using the EXL-170s on my 4001 for decades and love them. I use the EXL-220-5 on my 4003s5 and love them there as well. I use the EXL-220 as the fundamentals on my 4004L8 - then have individuals at about half of their diameter for the octaves. Now on my 4004C I find the D'Addarios ring a little too much. I have been looking at Roto's The 66LDN's were a little too big for my taste so I am trying their SM66N's 100/80/60/40. so far so good. they seem to be holding their tone. I do plan to try a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds (JR344).
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

iiipopes wrote:I have had the best of luck with GHS Progressives on my 4002 for the last 20 years, until I decided that my fingers needed a break and went with D'Addario Tapes.

The Progressives come in a "35" set, they are almost as bright as stainless, last a long time, don't chew frets as badly as SS (my 4002 was my main gigging bass for over a decade, and has not had significant fret wear), are economical in price, and the "alloy 52" interacts really well with the pickups.

If I got a gig tomorrow that needed to play heavier styles or pop-and-slap, I'd go back to the Progressives immediately.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Progre ... c_173.html
I used GHS stainless roundwound on my old G & L L2000 forever, and they last and last, so I think I'll try the Progressive 35 set, looks like a good deal. I'm just a bedroom hobby player, so it's hard to justify Thomastik's. Thanks for the suggestions All.
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

jps wrote:+1 on the JR344, I have been using them for many years now.

Thumbs Up !!!!! (Use them on my 1975 4001 & 1979 Hofner 500/1 for about 5 years now)
Rickenbacker player since 1978
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

aaronosaurus

Post by aaronosaurus »

Ok....... I admit to being new to this. I've played guitar since the 60's......... but only started playing bass a couple years ago. I've been playing short scales and just picked up a 74 4001. I'm reading a lot about going easy on the old 4001's using only Ric strings...... but no one on this post so far says anything about them ( that I noticed).
So do standard light gauge 45-100 XL's put too much strain on the old necks? I see lots of reccomendations...... but what applies to the vintage Rics?
Thanks all.
"Well, two heads are better than one...... even if one of them is a sheeps head"........ (my Dad talking to me....)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”