1959 Model 1000 in Autumnglo

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

OFallonBrent

1959 Model 1000 in Autumnglo

Post by OFallonBrent »

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not my 1959 Rickenbacker 1000.

My uncle bought it new in 1959. In 1979 he gave it to me and I have had it ever since. I intended to learn how to play it, but never did. It spent a brief time out of my control at my mothers house and she let my nephew play with it and the original strap is missing. I still hope to locate that strap. Other than that, I have everything else. The guitar is all original with some minor wear. I would rate it 95/100 as far as condition. It is in its original case and I have the original M-8 amplifier that it either came with or that was bought at the same time.

As soon as I can take some photos I will register it here.

I have a few of questions.

First the strap. This guitar has what I guess is called the saxophone connector. It is a single eye bolt in the back surrounded by a circular chrome plate. There are no other strap attachments. I recall the strap looking like the vintage strap still sold on the Rickenbacker site and elsewhere, but it ended in a single clasp. There is some minor wear where the clasp rubbed the wood. I've looked everywhere, even tried a saxophone strap, but as of now I have a standard strap with a small carabiner holding the two ends together and acting as the attaching clasp. I would really like to have the correct strap for this. Any ideas where I might find one?

Second, I don't recall ever changing the strings so there is a pretty good chance they are still the original ones. I was about to put some new strings on it, but now I've been reading that maybe I should use flatwound strings. I have also read that maybe I should use heavier strings. I bought an Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Set (10 - 46), but now I'm hesitating putting them on. Without going into all of what I have read, what strings should this thing be strung with?

Third, the original case is showing its age. It is basically grey cardboard that is shaped around the guitar's contours. It still does the job okay, but I really want something more protective and secure. I'm not sure how much active use the case can take. I've looked all over for a suitable case, but hard cases for 3/4 size electrics are hard to find. I've seen some nice lined rectangular cases that were contemporary to the late fifties/early sixties, so I'm not sure why the one I have is guitar shaped cardboard. At any rate, I would like a decent case that does not say Fender or Gibson on it. Thoughts?

My 10 year old son has been taking lessons. I never did but I am taking the lessons with him now. He's been playing an acoustic guitar the same size as the 1000. This is the perfect size for him right now and I don't see any point hiding this guitar away in the closet anymore. I cleaned off the dust and its ready to rock. I would just like to do these last few things. Strings, strap, and case.

Also, it seems I might have a rare bird. I've not seen any other 1000s in this condition or color, or 1959 for that matter.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Re: 1959 Model 1000 in Autumnglo

Post by jwilli »

Brent, welcome to the RRF. A Combo 1000 is perfect for someone his age. You can use either flat wound or round wounds. Short scale scale strings are a larger gauge but they will play in tune and feel like a smaller gauge string. I owned a '57 Combo 1000 a while back. You can sometimes find a correct case on Ebay. Or at least one in better condition. Post some pics, I'd love to see it in Autumnglo.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”