Please Help- Proper Replacement Mono Jack / Early 80's 4003?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Quadzilla

Please Help- Proper Replacement Mono Jack / Early 80's 4003?

Post by Quadzilla »

Hello everyone. The mono jack on my 1983 4003 is a bit flaky. This is a mono/stereo bass with two jacks if that matters. Only the mono jack is worn (the stereo jack has hardly been used and does not need replacing). I've tried bending the prongs and cleaning it. I think that the circular part is just worn and is having trouble making proper and continuous contact. I've read some places that the replacement is a Switchcraft 13e and other places say it's a model 11 and another place said it's a 13 (no E in the part number). Can somebody tell me which part to order? Thanks so much!
ram

Re: Please Help- Proper Replacement Mono Jack / Early 80's 4

Post by ram »

The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I carry these in stock, and I think it's a part#13. It's no easy task just replacing the jack though. There are two terminals that have two wires each that also have heat shrink on them to keep them from shorting onterminals adjacent to them. You're better off buying a complete output jack harness from RIC.
Quadzilla

Post by Quadzilla »

Thanks so much! So it's #13 vs 13E, correct? Thanks again!
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Yes, #13 it is. The stereo wiring has a #13 (mono jack with make-contact switch) for mono output, and a #12B for the stereo output.
The #13E is a mono jack with break-contact switch, and #11 is a simple mono jack with no switch.

Myself, as I only use the mono output, I wired it a bit different to avoid having a switch in the mono jack that will be actuated and worn each time the plug is inserted. I used #11 for mono output, and #13B (stereo jack with break-contact switch) for stereo output. That way there is no switch in the mono output that connects the two pickup signals, but instead a switch that separates the signal when a plug is inserted in the stereo output.
Quadzilla

Post by Quadzilla »

Thanks for confirming! I googled for an hour or two and could not find a definitive answer! Thanks again! ;-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”