Photographic still life of hobbies/interests

Capturing Guitar images
jps
RRF Consultant

Photographic still life of hobbies/interests

Post by jps »

Let's see what you guys and gals can come up with. I just made this one today for fun.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
ricfreak

Re: Photographic still life of hobbies/interests

Post by ricfreak »

Nice composition Jeff. :D
I love taking photos too :wink:
Here's one from my office....

and made this couple weeks ago.... a la Romero Britto
Way too much GAS !!!
http://www.ricfreak.tumblr.com
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Another iPad shot. Hey, I've seen that issue of American Bungalow while thought-lifting at the magazine rack of my local natural foods grocer. ricfreak, that would make some fine stained glass.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool photo, Nathan. There a several things in it that are quite relevant to me.

The Dynaco amps: I once had a PAS-3 preamp for a few years in the mid '70s.

Quarry tiles: During our dining and living rooms renovation throughout 2017 I removed the tiles from the hearth extension and cleaned them up to look new again (as well as I could for 100 year old tiles!) We redid some other things too in that area due to damaged/missing flooring, and damaged/ugly grout/mortar.

Fireplace screen: I recently designed one that will be custom made (I am going to the ironworks shop tomorrow to discuss it with them). What's in place, currently, is the old speaker grill.

The strategically placed guitar "in" the fireplace: Before putting the new mantel on top of the fireplace in our reno I put a set of guitar strings and bass strings inside the fireplace, along with an old clarinet. :mrgreen:

During construction, before I pulled the tiles up.
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2017 All rights reserved.
Fini!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Jeff, that's been quite a remodel. Looks fine, nice work on the tiles.

I have the set's original Dynaco PAS2x (hard to believe I've had this stereo for close to forty years) but now with only one source there is no longer a need for a preamp. Much more transparent with just a passive volume control.

So a clarinet in the fireplace? Makes me want to stack a disassembled bassoon in there like cordwood!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

We still have and use all the time, Shari's dad's KLH 21 table radio; we can run it into the Bozac 302 speakers in the fireplace.
Fireplace pre-domo work.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Remarkable. I have been looking into Bozaks for the first time just within the last few days. I'd love to hear a pair. The infinite baffle design, along with their custom woofer, is supposed to be a real special sound for low frequencies but requires a big box. Will the screen you're working on keep that system in place? And a KLH table radio too. Here's my Model 18 tuner:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

We have never pulled the speaker out of the firebox as we're afraid to find what's behind it. When I was cleaning out the inside of the fireplace after the Amish guy and his 18 year old son pulled off the 75" x 13" x 4" piece of bluestone that was the old mantel (around 350 lbs.!) to carry out to the back yard :shock: There was a thick layer of mortar on top of the white painted bricks that was a bit crumbly so I started poking around up there and found that it came off pretty easily. Once that was all cleared off I found the inside full of river rocks, broken up bricks, and other debris like a drum stick, a Liberty 4 of Spades playing card, a green marble and the remains of 6 birds!!! I got it all out and into the dumpster after a couple days of work on that, at least down to just below the level of the lintel.

I could not see the speaker cabinet in the firebox so I have a feeling the box is just a frame around the inside perimeter of the firebox with the baffle screwed on to it. If I take the baffle off I may find all kinds of stuff in there. :shock: :shock: :shock: The speaker works fine so I am not taking any chances. :mrgreen: It does have a bit of a tubby mid bass but otherwise sounds great for a mid 1960s mono hi-fi speaker, just driving it with the speaker out on the KLH radio. No real deep bottom end, but my Definitive Technology Super Cube II can take care of that, down to 14 Hz. :D

The fire screen will be purely decorative and will be screwed onto the baffle, it will not be self standing as it will be acting as a speaker grill. The screen design is based on windows in the Greene & Greene Bolton House's kitchen.
G^G Bolton House Kitchen
G^G Bolton House Kitchen
Image Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2018 All rights reserved.
Image Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2018 All rights reserved.

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”