The good old days

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

woodyng

Re: The good old days

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:
woodyng wrote:What i got is a Laredo,with the original Schaller bridge,and tuners,a half-inch spaced Rick neck sw toaster,CA bridge pickup in Rick surround,a v63 type pg,and new wiring with appropriate SC components. I like to think of it as an evolved version of my old modded 2-pickup JG 4000 i had back in the 70's. (My first Rick bass,in fact.)
When I read that the first thought to come to mind were a bridge pickup made of super glue and this:
sw toaster.jpg
Funny how human minds work,innit?
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Even though I'd first gotten really enamoured with 4001 basses in 1972-73, there were a lot of things I didn't know about them until I found Mike Parks site, which was a welcome refuge from all of the alien autopsy and OJ conspiracy websites in the early to mid'90s! Suddenly here was Mike Parks, selling v63s like IHOP sells pancakes! It definitely reawakened my interest in Ricks![/quote]
Mike's site was where i found my new-to-me (and exotic) '04 Cheyenne ii model. (Around 2007).
I paid $1600 shipped for it,virtually flawless and like new. I've really enjoyed it as a fretted,and later,defretted bass.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Jesus, this makes me feel old:
1979 Jetglo bought at E.U. Wurlitzer Music of Boston, brand new out the door for $450 with HSC. They had STACKS of Rics for sale. I remember playing 4-5 Jetglos until I found the one with the thinnest neck. Sigh.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:... I'd first gotten really enamoured with 4001 basses in 1972-73...
Yeah, that is the same timeframe I got interested in getting a 4001, however the only thing I was able to find to buy was some really old hollowbody bass with binding on both sides like a Gibson :shock: (and no CB, to boot!), and it was in Jetglo, not the classic FG that Rick are famous for. :mrgreen:
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Early '72 for $200 with only three strings at a local music store that specialized in pianos in late 90's. All CB binding, TRC, and pickups/electronics intact. Sold it soon after as a 4 stringer for not much more :oops:
Attachments
old rick post.JPG
old rick post.JPG (4.42 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
LBx

Post by LBx »

woodyng wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 pmWhat i got is a Laredo,with the original Schaller bridge,and tuners,a half-inch spaced Rick neck sw toaster,CA bridge pickup in Rick surround,a v63 type pg,and new wiring with appropriate SC components. I like to think of it as an evolved version of my old modded 2-pickup JG 4000 i had back in the 70's. (My first Rick bass,in fact.)
Damn I've been jonzing for a Schaller on my 4000 and that pic is definitely not helping...
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Summer 1987, Red Bank, NJ a music store had a FireGlo 1964 4001 for sale for around $600, or maybe more.
Reno, Nevada, June 1991, a music store not too far outside of Reno had a mid-1960s FireGlo 4001 for sale for $900.
I had to pass on both. DIdn't have the cash.
Arthur02

Post by Arthur02 »

72 4001 Jetglo, Ampeg V4B Head, 2-15 Sunn Cabinet for $275 from Cintioli Music in NE Phila in 1977. I still have the Rick, don't remember what I did with the head and cab.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Less than 3 years ago I got my 95 FG 4003 off the local Craigslist for $1100.

It’s getting converted to 5 string right now.

The Craigslist ad had a picture of the jack plate and serial number, and in the 3 days it was listed on Craigslist, someone had already added it to the registry.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

4003's made during that era had an oversized neck pickup route that will likely let the neck flex where it transitions to the body when another 40 lbs of string tension is added. There use to be a hack out there converting 4003's to 5-strings with mixed results because he didn't fill that route with a tightly fitting maple block before re-routing in just big enough for the pickup. Unless that's being done first, I wouldn't advise it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”