Joey's Bass Notes???

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (cassius987) » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:06 pm

jps wrote:
cjj wrote:Joey said he was shutting it down...

I don't blame him for doing so. He got tired of having to deal with a bunch of c*r*a*p from people.


Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."
User avatar
(cassius987)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (rickenbrother) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry for any inconvenience shutting down Joey's Bass Notes may have been.
The reasons:

The site was looking cheesy and outdated. I made that website when I barely knew how to make one. Now that I know better, I just haven't had the time. I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.

I have had lots of stealing of content without permission, so much so, that I even had Wayback remove JBN content, in case it could be taken from there and I'd have no way of finding it. I was always pretty good about sharing content, as long as I was asked, and knew where it was going.

I was suddenly having so many problems trying to access the host with the FTP program...and they weren't being much help, so I told them that's enough. I still own the domains registered to me: joeysbassnotes.com and .net, the same with rickenbrother.

Content as it was, may resurface...somewhere soon. We'll see.

I appreciate the support and appreciation I had gotten from many people around the world, for the past 14 years that JBN was active.

Besides possibly getting JBN somewhere else, I've been thinking about doing a couple out other things that may help bassists, and maybe other musicians as well, time permitting.

Cheers to all.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
User avatar
(rickenbrother)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 12926
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 6:00 am
Location: Between a hammer and an anvil...

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (gregson62) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:59 pm

I just want to say that I referred to that content from time to time over the past few years and will miss it.

Bring it back when you can, brother.

-Greg
(gregson62)
New member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (squirebass) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:06 pm

rickenbrother wrote: I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.


IMHO, there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with that! More power to ya, Joey! And thanks for all your many valuable contributions!
User avatar
(squirebass)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:05 am
Location: U.S.A

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (jps) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 pm

rickenbrother wrote:...I have had lots of stealing of content without permission...

I have also had issues with similar stuff regarding my photography over the years (not here, other sites). So, I fully get it.
(Insert famous quote here)
User avatar
(jps)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 35519
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:00 am
Location: Not of this Earth

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (rickenbrother) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I just heard back from Peter M. We may figure out a way to incorporate JBN content here on the RRF, as little, or as much of it as he wants.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
User avatar
(rickenbrother)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 12926
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 6:00 am
Location: Between a hammer and an anvil...

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (jps) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:50 am

That's a good start. Now we need to figure out how to maintain copyright protection for your IP, either through electronics means of protection or maybe permissions being granted to use material but with the correct bylines/copyright notices, etc.
(Insert famous quote here)
User avatar
(jps)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 35519
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:00 am
Location: Not of this Earth

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (paologregorio) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 pm

cassius987 wrote:
jps wrote:
cjj wrote:Joey said he was shutting it down...

I don't blame him for doing so. He got tired of having to deal with a bunch of c*r*a*p from people.


Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."


You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
User avatar
(paologregorio)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA, United States of America

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (bottom4) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 am

Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."[/quote]

You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.[/quote]

If there was a like button here I’d certainly hit it, a few times...!
User avatar
(bottom4)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:24 am
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (cheyenne) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 am

I cant imagine the time and commitment it must take to keep something like this up to date.

I'd just like to take the time to thank Joey for all he's done to educate folks in the care and maintenance of their Rickenbacker instruments. I've been a member here since 2001, and I've referenced his wisdom on many occasions.

Thanks for your time and effort Joey.
"Knowledge is Power"
User avatar
(cheyenne)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:39 pm
Location: Midwest Ohio

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (jdogric12) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

Joey - you might want to consider releasing it privately to a loyal base of paid subscribers, on something like Patreon. That would compensate you for your efforts, and weed out the thieving copycats. You could still release teasers and trailers on YouTube for free viewing to the public, explaining what's in the paid content, to attract subscribers, but none of that free content would be anything useful for people to steal.
Sent from my Roland GR-500. Please excuse any typos.
User avatar
(jdogric12)
Rick-a-holic
 
Posts: 9950
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:00 am
Location: Beltway insider

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (clasbas) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am

jdogric12 wrote:Joey - you might want to consider releasing it privately to a loyal base of paid subscribers, on something like Patreon.


I, for one, would be willing to pay for this kind of high quality content.
(clasbas)
New member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (8mileshigher) » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 pm

paologregorio wrote:You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.


I would like to express a big "LIKE" for what Paulie and other JBN supporters have said !! :wink:
User avatar
(8mileshigher)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4785
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles area, Calif, USA

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (ram) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 am

Joey's stuff is cool and fun to read and watch... easy to understand and just plain ole well done. Not to mention he is a great guy and a pretty good bass player... ok he's a really good bass player still a nice guy!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
User avatar
(ram)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:55 pm
Location: Mineral, VA, USA

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Postby (callofcthulhu) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 am

rickenbrother wrote:Sorry for any inconvenience shutting down Joey's Bass Notes may have been.
The reasons:

The site was looking cheesy and outdated. I made that website when I barely knew how to make one. Now that I know better, I just haven't had the time. I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.

I have had lots of stealing of content without permission, so much so, that I even had Wayback remove JBN content, in case it could be taken from there and I'd have no way of finding it. I was always pretty good about sharing content, as long as I was asked, and knew where it was going.

I was suddenly having so many problems trying to access the host with the FTP program...and they weren't being much help, so I told them that's enough. I still own the domains registered to me: joeysbassnotes.com and .net, the same with rickenbrother.

Content as it was, may resurface...somewhere soon. We'll see.

I appreciate the support and appreciation I had gotten from many people around the world, for the past 14 years that JBN was active.

Besides possibly getting JBN somewhere else, I've been thinking about doing a couple out other things that may help bassists, and maybe other musicians as well, time permitting.

Cheers to all.
Not trying to bite the hand that feeds here, but I just don't understand what you could have encountered that you would consider "stealing"?

Or, more to the point, what exactly was your intention in making all of your work publicly accessible if you didn't want it to be used, reused, and built upon by the public?

Given that there is no "authorized" source for much of the esoteric specifics of Rickenbacker technical details, hobbyists and professionals alike interested in working on them are at the mercy of those who have the knowledge being willing to share it. Sure, all of the information you collected is out there, somewhere, at the bottom of an infinite well of inaccurate and irrelevant information. But you've already gone through the trouble of finding it, verifying it, organizing it, and supplementing it with hard proof. It was an invaluable resource for anyone looking for that information, and the world is a dimmer place without it.
(callofcthulhu)
New member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests