Why so quiet around here?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Why so quiet around here?

Post by Isaac »

No new posts in two weeks. Or am I missing something?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Why so quiet around here?

Post by lumgimfong »

All the questions have now been answered.
The illustrious forum has left no question about Ric basses unanswered!

Just kidding.
Maybe Rics are starting to wane in popularity. I think the forum was more jumping years ago, iirc.

I didn’t come along til 2016, and it seemed to be slowing down back then. That was my impresssion.

Seems to be grinding to a halt these days though.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Things took a dramatic downturn sometime in 2012, and also when all the FB Rick accounts were created.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Isaac wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:28 pm No new posts in two weeks. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are, there is a secret section for 2013 and earlier members. Next year you can see it.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
teeder

Post by teeder »

Sshh! I'm sleeping.
teeder

Post by teeder »

jps wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:11 am Things took a dramatic downturn sometime in 2012, and also when all the FB Rick accounts were created.
+1
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

The one random day I decide to check in, I finally have an opportunity to explain myself. Cool beans.

My college life took a serious turn, and I didn’t have as much time for the forum as I used to. I’d check in occasionally, but between studies, term papers and extracurricular clubs and such, not to mention helping my family out, I barely had time for music and playing guitar, but I’d make time for that.

I graduated in 2018, and got a job pretty quickly following graduation. That kept me busy as well. Then, in 2019, my grandmother had a nasty fall, so I moved in with her for two years, before finally splitting my time there with other family members following a nasty fall that almost killed her in November 2020. My company was absorbed by another one out of the Chicago area, but I managed to stay in Louisiana and work from home. I rarely had time to go anywhere for vacation because I felt I needed to spend as much time with my grandmother as possible. She finally passed away on June 17.

I’ve stayed busy, played music where I can and have three Rickenbackers to my name now: a 1996 model 1997, a 2016 660/12 (got it three months before Tom Petty passed on) and an earlier run 2000 360/12CW Carl Wilson.

I always remember the fun times on here and a lot of the people I got to know and who mentored me over the years. Not to mention the fun member meetups in SoCal. My life and the forum are both quite different now, but I’ll continue to check in sometimes. You all take care!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hey Jake, good to hear from you!

There are a few of us who still check in to the forum, but it seems most of the action has moved to FB...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:34 am The one random day I decide to check in, I finally have an opportunity to explain myself. Cool beans.

My college life took a serious turn, and I didn’t have as much time for the forum as I used to. I’d check in occasionally, but between studies, term papers and extracurricular clubs and such, not to mention helping my family out, I barely had time for music and playing guitar, but I’d make time for that.

I graduated in 2018, and got a job pretty quickly following graduation. That kept me busy as well. Then, in 2019, my grandmother had a nasty fall, so I moved in with her for two years, before finally splitting my time there with other family members following a nasty fall that almost killed her in November 2020. My company was absorbed by another one out of the Chicago area, but I managed to stay in Louisiana and work from home. I rarely had time to go anywhere for vacation because I felt I needed to spend as much time with my grandmother as possible. She finally passed away on June 17.

I’ve stayed busy, played music where I can and have three Rickenbackers to my name now: a 1996 model 1997, a 2016 660/12 (got it three months before Tom Petty passed on) and an earlier run 2000 360/12CW Carl Wilson.

I always remember the fun times on here and a lot of the people I got to know and who mentored me over the years. Not to mention the fun member meetups in SoCal. My life and the forum are both quite different now, but I’ll continue to check in sometimes. You all take care!
Really nice to see you are still around. And, very nice collection of Ricks! :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

berth wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:05 am
Isaac wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:28 pm No new posts in two weeks. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are, there is a secret section for 2013 and earlier members. Next year you can see it.
Well, that might explain why I'm not seeing some things, but not why I'm not seeing anything at all!
Looking forward to being able to see the secret section, though!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Probably because we're getting towards the end of summer. Even in the days before Facebook, when this forum was super busy (especially the Rickenbacker Basses section), it would slow a bit during summer.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

It’s the calm before the storm.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kennyhowes wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:55 am It’s the calm before the storm.
Just so long as the storm isn't like the one we had last Thursday night around my area! :shock:
kennitala

Post by kennitala »

I am new here so I don't know :)
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Facebook is only part of the reason. If you follow eBay/Reverb, there are less and less interesting Ric basses up for sale. There were times when 4005's and 4002's were moving, 60s 4001's, Shadows, enameled board SPC's, 4000's, other conversation pieces. And Rickenbacker had more models, v63 and c64 and S5. The W series sadly didn't generate much discussion. Now it's just used 4003's on eBay. This shows general lack of interest, and/or all vintage Rics have found good homes, never to be flipped again.

I still check eBay and Reverb every day, but there are never any good finds, the kind where you break the keyboard hitting BIN. The same thing is happening with vintage Fenders and Gibsons, but there are still some nice vintage guitars offered for sale; Ric is a much smaller market, and with no supply - there's almost no demand any more.

This will have a negative effect on prices, I'm sure.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”