HELLP! Rick Newbie 4003 Bass Questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sheinke

HELLP! Rick Newbie 4003 Bass Questions

Post by sheinke »

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an early '80's 4003 in a store nearby, and I have a couple questions:

1) Looking at this bass, I notice the two chrome knobs that are on each side of the tailpiece string guides are missing. What do those do, and if they're removed/missing, does it affect anything?

2) The pickguard is one piece, but I notice pics of some 80's models have a split pickguard (2 piece). Is one more correct? Does a single piece notate a replacement 'guard?

3) The case appears to be original, but do all '80's 4003 cases have 'Rickenbacker' in thin print on the case cover?

Thanks for any advice, Steve
bassduke49

Re: HELLP! Rick Newbie 4003 Bass Questions

Post by bassduke49 »

The two knobs when turned raise or lower the foam mute that's underneath the "teeth" just in front of the bridge saddles. Most folks don't use the mute and find the knobs are in the way of their plucking hand.

The two-piece pick guard was a feature of the early 4003 basses from 1980 to approx 1985 or '86. It was that way to allow easier access to the truss rod adjuster nuts that were at the body end of the neck. You may have one of the newer 4003s or even possibly one of the late 4001 that were still being sold into the early '80s.

Don't know much about the cases but it could be original. If you can provide photos of the bass that may help us.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: HELLP! Rick Newbie 4003 Bass Questions

Post by cheyenne »

Yeah, toss a few pictures out, we'll help you.
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”