Potentiometers and Bartolini pickups on 4001

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Potentiometers and Bartolini pickups on 4001

Post by Isaac »

I have a burgundyglo 4001 with Bartolini pickups. I like it a lot. Always have, since I got it.

When changing strings today, I opened it up. Looks to be the original wiring harness, except that I bypassed the bass blocker cap.

I measured the potentiometers. Both volume pots are 227K, bass tone is 541K, treble tone is 452K. Sounds about right.

I'm thinking of replacing the volume pots with 500Ks, as the Barts are humbuckers. That should brighten it up a bit. Easily undone, if I hate it, and a tweak of the tone control should give me the same sound I have now.

In fact, I have a few 500K pots on hand, but one thing I noticed was that the ones I have have a longer threaded portion of the stem than the original pots. If I used them, then the knobs will stand out (stick up higher) than the originals. What would be a good source for pots that have the same physical dimensions as the originals? Same question for the push-pull pot for bypassing the bass blocker cap.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Potentiometers and Bartolini pickups on 4001

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:03 pm I have a burgundyglo 4001 with Bartolini pickups. I like it a lot. Always have, since I got it.

When changing strings today, I opened it up. Looks to be the original wiring harness, except that I bypassed the bass blocker cap.

I measured the potentiometers. Both volume pots are 227K, bass tone is 541K, treble tone is 452K. Sounds about right.

I'm thinking of replacing the volume pots with 500Ks, as the Barts are humbuckers. That should brighten it up a bit. Easily undone, if I hate it, and a tweak of the tone control should give me the same sound I have now.

In fact, I have a few 500K pots on hand, but one thing I noticed was that the ones I have have a longer threaded portion of the stem than the original pots. If I used them, then the knobs will stand out (stick up higher) than the originals. What would be a good source for pots that have the same physical dimensions as the originals? Same question for the push-pull pot for bypassing the bass blocker cap.
Get nuts to fit the threads and use those under the pickguard to lower the height of the pot. Unless the threaded portion is really long and bottoms the pot out in the cavity.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

jps wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 pmGet nuts to fit the threads and use those under the pickguard to lower the height of the pot. Unless the threaded portion is really long and bottoms the pot out in the cavity.
That's a thought that hadn't occurred to me. No help with the push-pull pots, as they're already very slightly too long as it is.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Your pot measurements shows the variation from spec many pots suffer from.

The volumes I would expect to be 250, and the tone to be 500.

Usually the better the quality the closer to spec they will be.

Depending on the shaft material you might be able to cut any extra off.
You could also build up washers on the inside of the cavity to change the outer shaft amount.

Good luck.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Based on my own personal experience, sometimes it's just easier, more efficient, and considering time and labor, to get an entire wiring harness. The appropriate pots and caps are already soldered in place.

Here's a good source, from a guy who is one this forum's members. I had questions about how to/where to connect wires, etc. -- all questions answered. If you're willing to spend the dough, I don't think you could go wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=ac ... 61.l170197

Look over his offerings and see if he has what you need. Detailed descriptions are provided. And if you don't see what you want, just ask for it.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

maxwell wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:10 pm Based on my own personal experience, sometimes it's just easier, more efficient, and considering time and labor, to get an entire wiring harness. The appropriate pots and caps are already soldered in place.

Here's a good source, from a guy who is one this forum's members. I had questions about how to/where to connect wires, etc. -- all questions answered. If you're willing to spend the dough, I don't think you could go wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=ac ... 61.l170197

Look over his offerings and see if he has what you need. Detailed descriptions are provided. And if you don't see what you want, just ask for it.
Thanks, but I'd rather do it myself. I was an electronics technician in a former life, so I know how to solder, how to read a schematic, and how to figure out where to connect the wires.
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Isaac wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:03 pm What would be a good source for pots that have the same physical dimensions as the originals? Same question for the push-pull pot for bypassing the bass blocker cap.
To answer your question, the pots are from CTS. Retailers are dime a dozen so just Google CTS pot. You’ll find local(ish) retailers.
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thanks.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”