330 Hi Gain Pickup Construction?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

peterjung

330 Hi Gain Pickup Construction?

Post by peterjung »

Can anyone help – I am trying to understand how the hi gain pickups on my 2011 330 are constructed?

I cannot find any decent diagrams online so hence asking here. I can find that the old toaster design seems to have 6 pole piece magnets that go through the bobbin… how about the Hi Gains?

I can see when I open up the PU’s on the underside there looks like a rectangular bar with no holes on the underside – but with tearing it apart I cannot figure out how it is constructed. Are there individual pole piece magnets under the bar piece?

The six visible domed type nuts with a countersuck hex – how does that work – is that for some kind of adjustment?

Can anyone explain how this PU is constructed?

Thanks in advance!
peterjung

Re: 330 Hi Gain Pickup Construction?

Post by peterjung »

I will repost this in the technical forums as I think it is more suited to there

Thanks!
collin

Post by collin »

The only magnet on a hi gain pickup is that rectangular one at the bottom of the pickup.

The polepieces are steel (either the old style push-in or the threaded adjustable variety over the last 15-odd years).

The coil and bobbin is around the steel polepieces with the magnet underneath the pickup.

Toasters are different in that the polepieces ARE magnets, six individual ones, in an otherwise similar bobbin to the hi gain pickups.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

peterjung wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:58 am Can anyone help – I am trying to understand how the hi gain pickups on my 2011 330 are constructed?

I cannot find any decent diagrams online so hence asking here. I can find that the old toaster design seems to have 6 pole piece magnets that go through the bobbin… how about the Hi Gains?

I can see when I open up the PU’s on the underside there looks like a rectangular bar with no holes on the underside – but with tearing it apart I cannot figure out how it is constructed. Are there individual pole piece magnets under the bar piece?

The six visible domed type nuts with a countersuck hex – how does that work – is that for some kind of adjustment?

Can anyone explain how this PU is constructed?

Thanks in advance!
The bar is the ceramic magnet.The pole pieces are ferrous metal (steel) but not magnetic themselves.

If your pole pieces have hex shaped holes in the top that is for adjusting their height.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The poles (of the button-tops) or the sleeves (of the screw poles) are made to be in contact with, or against the bar magnet on the bottom to transfer the magnetism through the pickup. I know this, because I had a pickup with drop-outs. It turns out there was a thin film of the glue or the adhesive that held everything together seeped between the poles and the magnet, compromising the magnetic conductivity. I took the pickup apart, cleaned everything up so the poles would contact the magnet, reassembled, and all was good.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”