PEANUT MAN

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

PEANUT MAN

Post by 13_temple_street »

It was just a typical jazz night in 1960 at the newly opened Iron Door club Temple Street Liverpool.
Les Harris ‘Hot Six were the Jazz band booked to perform that evening . A commotion on the door attracted my attention it appeared to centre around a young portly man wearing a black very broad striped double breasted suit .I immediately recognised him ‘It was George Melly he was performing at the Mardi Gras jazz club in Mount Pleasant street .
George decided to make a quick visit to the newly opened club. He intended to hot foot back to the Mardi to finish his spot I steered George towards the bar he fancied a double Brandy. It was the interval Les Harris was drinking at the bar before resuming his spot on the stage in the basement, .Les and George were acquainted Les reminded George the last time they met his band accompanied George he mentioned he particularly enjoyed George performing a particular song ‘I will go down to the stage and do it now https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... ORM=VRDGAR

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”