Paul Wellers Rickenbackers

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tomrat

Paul Wellers Rickenbackers

Post by tomrat »

Anyone know how many Rickenbackers Paul Weller had with the Jam??? Does anyone remember the Jam here in the USA...did anyone see them live???
tom
oruga65

Post by oruga65 »

Look here: http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/framespage.html
I read somewhere that he's got 330 Rickys (!!). I think it has to be a mistake, the author of the book was confused between the model he used to play most and the number of guitars he could own.

Oruga65
tomrat

Post by tomrat »

I dont know that sounds like something Paul Weller would do having three hundred and thirty Rickenbacker 330s, that sound like a mod.....he probably had a suit to match each Rickenbacker too.....
thanks for the info...
tom
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

I saw the Jam in Chicago in '82. Great show, although Foxton seemed upset with his monitor mix most of the night. If I remember correctly, Weller played a couple different 330's, and played a Strat for one song.
tom

Post by tom »

cool.....how was their aditude to the American crowd??
I was going to get to see Weller on his first solo gig after his second band split, but he cancelled, I think it was 1991 or so
tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul admitted recently that he doesn't use Ricks anymore, he "grew out" of that sound, he said...(is that right, 'grew out'? Not always having a dictionary with me here right in the middle of old Europe...) Maybe he keeps on giving his 330s to friends, like he did to Noel Gallagher, hey Paul, can I have one??
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mikeobrien58

Post by mikeobrien58 »

I saw The Jam live in 1978 or 1979 in Philadelphia, on a bill with the Ramones and the Runaways. (The Runaways were amateurish, the Ramones deafening and funny but boring after a while). The Jam were way cool. Matching suits, Rickenbackers and Marshalls, lots of energy onstage. It was like seeing the early Who. Very polished presentation, very together sound, great songs. I don't know why they never made it to the same level of success as some of their contemporaries. They never had a hit in the USA that I know of. "This is the Modern World" got a little radio play -- that's it.
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

Their attitude? They came to play to the enthusiastic crowd that came to see them. The only reference I remember Weller making to being "over here" was as he was introducing Butterfly Collector, by saying he didn't think it was available on this side of the Atlantic.
tom

Post by tom »

ted,
Paul weller use to not care too much for Americans or the USA...he is very pro England and all things english....Ive read he didnt like coming over here on those tours....i was interested in knowing how he reacted to the crowd...it sounds like it was a good show anyway....tom
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

Funny, I thought the R&B that he so very obviously loves was an American thang.
tom

Post by tom »

just because he listens to some Stax records doesnt mean he likes Americans or the policies...
thats what im talking about.....I like lots of British music but i wouldnt want to live under British rule, at least until I see what George W. does to the country, ask me in a year.....
tom
marc

Post by marc »

Weller is a Mod, always has been, always will be and as such very tuned into English-ness. You are right to find it wierd when he admits such a debt to U.S. R n'B sounds. When The Jam toured the States, Weller was about 19, full of so-called righteous indignation, his arse was being kissed by the British rock press as a yoof spokesman. His politics were simplistic and naive, as most 19 year olds are. The Jam were HUGE with my generation in England, they never made it in the States so giving another reason for his hostility. Several rock writers have criticised Weller as being a bit dim, I don't know him so I can't comment on his current opinions on the U.S.A. I wouldn't worry about it. I think you colonials are doing pretty well. Weller played Rickies 'cos of Townshend and what does every Brit wannabe pop star need....yup a cool yank geetar to write songs which criticise U.S. capitalism. Oh the irony of it all. God bless you!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks, but we really do need a Brit amp to make that "cool Yank geetar" work its best.
tom

Post by tom »

On most of the USA tours, the Jam was opening for blue oyster cult and stadium Rock bands like that until they did the clubs...it would be very hard to be the beatles status in the UK and then come to America and know one know you...
Im not coming down on Weller, I totally understand his aditudes....
Its hard for Americans to get into songs about Wardour Street, vortex floors, all mod cons, wormwood scrubs and smithers/jones...(what the hell was that he say'd).
XTC had the same problems here, plus that Dear God song talking about our larw'd....
We yanks, didnt even know that Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA was protesting the Vietnam war...
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

In the Reagan/Thatcher era, there wasn't much to like politically on either side of the pond. While I can't speak for the Jam, my impression of them when I saw them in America was that they enjoyed playing for an appreciative audience. I'm sure they secretly would have loved to make it big here, but it probably would have hurt their credibility back home.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”