Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

330fg

Post by 330fg »

Politics????
As Lennon would say " Shurrup and play that bloody rock...."
oruga65

Post by oruga65 »

I think Jam's songs sounds nearly the same everywhere, about universal feelings; every city's got a Wardour Street and almost all of us have a Smithers-Jones next door. That's only my opinion.

Oruga65
Rob_Ashford

Post by Rob_Ashford »

Marc`s right. The Jam werent taken seriously by the hard core punk movement of the time, bands like the Clash loved to have a go at all things American, untill they played Shea Stadium that is. You need to keep this in context, Reagan was viewed like Thatcher was to us Brits. Right wing ideologies were/ are the enemy. Thats rock n roll. Weller wont play Ricks now. He said in an interview that they were part of his youth, and that has gone. Rob Ashford
Graham_Frawley

Post by Graham_Frawley »

If any of you would like information on Weller's Rickenbackers,please ask away. I am and have been since the late seventies, a massive Jam fan and have a terrifyingly deep knowledge of Weller's Rick's and have the ability to bore the pants off anyone who will listen. I also own a couple of Ricks of my own.
Cheers.
Graham Frawley.
tom

Post by tom »

I alway though the Start Rickenbacker was cool....
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Graham: What I would really like is a detailed chronology of the Rickenbackers, model and finish, that Weller played over the years. This may be quite the task, however, opportunities like this don't come around everyday and so I would dearly like to take you up on your kind offer. This could develop into a very nice article, that I would be pleased to post on the Rickenbacker Registration Page, should you care to write one. Should you have photos that are not currently on the Rickenbacker Registration Page I would also love to have you add them as well.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

And a clear shot of the WHAAAAM guitar...
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Kenny: This may not qualify as a "clear" shot but here it is, the WHAAM.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Nice! There's also the "Start!" video, which I have (on laserdisc!) but don't have a player...
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I once saw a very drunk Paul Weller snap the neck off one of those prized Rickenbackers against his mic stand. This was about 5 ft away from me at a small gig to local fans at the Woking YMCA in 1980 or 81. The song "Funeral Pyre" was in the charts. I'm from Aldershot, quite close to Woking (although I now live in California). I was a massive Jam fan back then. Met the band several times. Was lucky enough to see them dozens. I believe Paul Weller really did want to be successful in the U.S. but only on his terms, and unfortunately it didn't "Fly". The magic of The Jam's music was in their ability to connect to the average british kid, his issues, politics, frustrations and passions. Any kid basically coming out of school with very few opportunities or prospects. For anyone who's not yet discovered their music, it remains quite timeless. Best Jam song "Going Underground" - entered the british singles charts AT #1, Best album "All Mod Cons" or later "The Gift".
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I've actually got one of Paul Weller's old Rickenbackers. I bought it from him in August 1980 when the Jam had just released "Going Underground" in the UK. The guitar is a fireglo 330 with the words "I AM NOBODY" scratched into the top horn. Go to the following site http://www.geocities.com/small_world99 for some neat pictures - select "john's paul weller rickenbacker" from the menu. There's also a picture of me (aged 15 !) playing his WHAAM guitar.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Here's a picture of the Paul Weller Ricky mentioned above:
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Not only did you buy a Weller/Jam guitar but got to play the WHAAAM guitar too...
All I can say is that you are one lucky *******.
Damn you! Image
6120anniversary

Post by 6120anniversary »

Does anyone know if

A)Weller used his 330 on the Jam's "Start"

and

B) What kind of effects (pedals) did Weller use with his ricks if any.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”