Adding a third pickup to a 360/12??

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

george_pierni

Adding a third pickup to a 360/12??

Post by george_pierni »

is it easy to add a third pu to a 2 pu 360/12,,,and what do i need to route out????
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

sure it's easy ,but what do you aurally want to get from the guitar?

or is this purely a visual thing?

the big question is ..."How do you want to wire it ,and with a 3 way switch you are limited?"

The routing is not the hardest thing to do .The layout and the time to take it apart is a patience thing.
The wiring is the real issue .I think you should listen to the differances between the 360 and the three pickup model that are offered.You will find that the 2 pickup model has more bass response than the 3 pickup and that the Hard Days night tone is not there.
granted McGuinn has a 3 pickup guitar ,but his pickups are wired individually and he has the ability to select any one of them by them selves.

So ,once again the question is..........."how do you want it wired?"
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Paul_Honeycutt

Post by Paul_Honeycutt »

When I was shopping for a Rick 12 string, I e-mailed Roger McGuinn. I was considering a 370 and asked him what the advantage would be of a 3 pick up guitar. He told me that he only uses the bridge pick up and that the others were "just for looks." I got a 360.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Lets compare some guitars and there wiring and what you get .
If you use a Switchcraft selector switch (this is the stock unit used by Rickenbacker and Gibson as their main switch)you get ,as selections .......
pickup one /both pickups/pickup two.
This is the only thing this switch is capable of doing.
Fender uses an old Bell telephone switch (Leo's wife worked for the phone company)and that was the old 3 way Centralab switch.
It has only 3 clicks to it but can be wired to do other things.The 5 way switch is the same switch ,but with clicks in between the others .We used to 'balance ' the switch to achieve these sounds previous to 1978.
You don't wire the Strat switch any different for the vintage circuit than for the 5 way circuit.The clicks give you the 'in-between' positions.

Now to the real question about a 3 pickup guitar .

"How do you wire the thing ,and what do you want it to do?"

You don't have a rocker armed switch in Rickenbackers (plus it would look too Fenderish)nor is there a 3 mini switch guitar that could turn on and off each pickup.If that was done what would you get.
Well basically the stock 360 tones plus two Strat like sounds!
When the middle and bridge pickups are on you have the same effect that happens with a Strat.
These are NOT electrically out of phase but it is the magnets that are repelling each other.That is how the sound is created!
The same thing would happen when the neck and the middle pickups were both on ,just a darker tone.Just like the #4 click on a Strat switch.
Some other options would be;
1) to reverse wind the middle pickup and create a hum canceling mode when 2 pickups were turned on.
2)remove the magnet from the center pickup and reverse wind it to create a continuous humcanceling mode for ALL pickups.Because the center coil would have NO magnets it would not "see" the string ,therefore remain silent ,but because it is reverse wound and constantly in the circuit all 3 clicks on the switch would in fact be humcanceling and retain the normal sound that you are used to except that there would be NO 60 cycle hum (in the USA) or 50cycle hum(in the UK/Europe).
Food for thought ,and these are just ideas of mine and not those of the factory or anyone in particular.
I do want to thank Bill Meyers for explaining this to me (in part) in 1974 .This really got me thinking.And has helped me with my own projects over the years.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”