320FG from Hessy's Music Centre, Liverpool

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hamiltone

320FG from Hessy's Music Centre, Liverpool

Post by hamiltone »

I have a 320FG (now 325) complete with the original sales receipt from Hessy's Music Centre in Liverpool, England. The guitar was manufactured in June 1981 and eventually bought in October 1983, over two years after it was made. What I would like to try and find out is whether this guitar was a 'special order' by the original owner or whether the guitar just happened to be in the store at the time. To me, 1983 would have been an unlikely year for the John Lennon 325 association which makes me think it was a customer order rather than a store guitar waiting for a buyer. I would welcome your thoughts and opinions on this. Maybe John Hall might be able to shed some light on this guitar also, serial # UF2123. Thanks for your help.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Karl, I believe Hessy's was a Rickenbacker dealer. I remember seeing several Rickenbacker guitars in Hessy's in 1992. One I remember for certain was a Rickenbacker Lennon Limited Edition 325. I thought it would have been cool to buy that one from the same shop where The Beatles used to hang out and buy gear. Didn't have the cash to do it though.
hamiltone

Post by hamiltone »

Thanks for the info Larry. I'm interested to see where this thread goes. By the way, I sent you an e-mail a short while ago but received a 'Failed Delivery' message after about 4 days or so. Do you use a 'spam' filter which may have caused this delivery failure? Thanks Larry
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't imagine how many people have asked the folks at Hessy's over the years about the installation of the bigsby on the V81.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Peter, I would have asked but I don't think the facts about the installation of the Bigsby came out until after Hessy's was closed(unfortunately). I already knew that Johnny Guitar had John's old Kauffman and bridge at that time, but Johnny didn't know that Chris Huston did the installation. If he did he either forgot or never mentioned it to me. He just told me 'John gave me the lot'. Back in '92 nobody knew where John bought that Bigsby and I would have guessed Germany at the time. We now know that Hessy's sold Bigsby's. Unfortunately, Jim Gretty who was present at the time of the installation died a few years ago. Karl, please try to send me another e-mail. I've had a few problems with Norton deleting attachments. Thanks.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”