70s band/ "Nektar"?

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anonymous

70s band/ "Nektar"?

Post by anonymous »

Anyone know much about these guys? I saw them once in like '76, and they were kind of European/
artsy rock/progressive[Yes, Gentle Giant].One of the guys had a double neck that may or may not have been a Rick bass/twin neck. Comments? I hadn't thought about them in a long time...
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Dr. What a memory. Do you remember Mo with what I believe was a 4001 Jetglo.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Peter, Before I saw them, I'd never heard of them.
A friend of mine basically dragged me with him,and they were pretty stunning.But I really don't know what to do with that kind of stuff but go, "Wow".YES, I could relate to more, but these guys were pretty "out there", but obviously very talented.An interesting evening..
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I think they were a Dutch band. I have one of their albums, I thought they were pretty good.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

A Dutch band? No way. I also have one of their LPs ('Recycled', recorded in 1975, released in 1977), and their names are not exactly Dutch: Roye Albrighton/'Taff' Freeman/Ron Howden/'Mo' Moore/Mick Brockett.
Quite a great group with a definite Rick 4001 tone quality to their sound.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

They were/are English, although the band formed in Germany.

Wonderful stuff, if you like '70s prog rock (and I do) - I'd highly recommend "A Tab In The Ocean" and "Remember The Future" if you can find copies anywhere.

Cheers,
David
bear

Post by bear »

Ahh yes, the Nektar album's, still have several on vinyl L.P. in my own collection.
A quick search on Amazon reveals 23 CD entries, with approximately 18 non-duplicated titles, all available. The Bellaphon release of the CD has the same muddy bottom on drums and bass but the tone is undeniably Rickenbacker.
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

The remastering isn't that great, but Journey to the Centre of the Eye is a great album available on CD.

Gotta love that "Mo"!
walrus
Veteran RRF member

Post by walrus »

I worked with "Taff" about 20 years ago. If I recall, he was Scottish. I don't know much about the rest of the band, but he was in NJ and in another band at the time.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”