Moving to San Francisco...

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

s_gunderson
Veteran RRF member

Moving to San Francisco...

Post by s_gunderson »

I am moving to San Francisco in August and would enjoy meeting some RIC enthusiasts and also would like to know if anyone has any recomendations for a good luthier.
Thanks!
I shamelessly live for RIC and Roll
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I used to live out there about 20 years ago ... I took my Ric to Stars guitars ...
s_gunderson
Veteran RRF member

Post by s_gunderson »

Thanks Jeff, I will look them up!
gstuadams

Post by gstuadams »

Hi Steven,

Feel free to look me up if you would like to play an old 4001 or a new CII. I'm strange enough to still be listed in the phone book under Gordon Adams in Berkeley. I did receive a recomendation for a good Ric luthier (who understands old 4001 truss rods) from another forum member. I'll try to find it. I endedd up getting brave and doing the work myself so I didn't end up using any luthier. Welcome to the world of perfect weather, great food, insane real estate prices, awfull traffic and lots of great live music.
archiveman

Post by archiveman »

700 Series Acoustics.

I ordered my "Laramie" 730L12 in September 2001 and I recieved an email last week to say it will be at least Christmas this year before I can expect delivery, due to re structuring of the Ric's acoustic workshop and a huge back order list.

Has anyone experienced long delays in recieving their Ric acoustics, I'm just curious.
s_gunderson
Veteran RRF member

Post by s_gunderson »

Thanks Gordon. I look forward to the live music. I will give you a call
Steve
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Haight-Ashbury Music is a Rick dealer that stocks more than run-of-the-mill 360/4003 standards - they might have a good tech in house or direct you to one.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
adam_swapp

Post by adam_swapp »

The word is that Gary Brawer is the premier luthier in San Francisco. I've never used him, but I've heard nothing but good things from several people (and nothing bad). You might also try Gryphon in Palo Alto (~35 miles) or Mark's Guitars in San Jose. I've dealt with both of them, and I'd do so again.
You want to put that where?
s_gunderson
Veteran RRF member

Post by s_gunderson »

Thanks everyone for your help and info! Very much appreciated!
Steve
dougp
Veteran RRF member

Post by dougp »

Hi Steven - I'm another SF Ric owner, and I can definitely vouch for Gary Brawer at Real Guitars. He did a very nice job setting up my '68 4001 after I bought it. Gordon sums up the area pretty well ... :^)
My basses are Rickenbackers. My synthesizers and recording gear are analog.
johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

Post by johnashfield »

Welcome to San Francisco!

Gary Brawer is good, but I'd suggest trying out SF Guitarworks (www.precisionfretwork.com). Geoff at SF Guitarworks has worked on my 360. 360/12, my 4003, and my 4003s/5 which I recently sold to Jeff Rath.

Great work, and unlike Gary Brawer he has a quick turn around, usually he doesn't want you to bring something in till he can actually work on it.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

Another welcome from a 16-year SF resident!

Brawer is good, but expensive, and he's busy, so his turnaround isn't the best. Also, more likely than not, one of his flunkies will do your repair.

I have worked with Geoff at SF Guitarworks. and he does excellent work, is reasonably priced, and gets the job done quick. He's also a heck of a nice guy!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steven: "If your going to San Francisco I hope you meet some gentle people there."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

....(groan..)

here we go again....

1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

"On a warm San Franciscan night..."
Buy it before someone else does