Moving to Boston

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickde

Moving to Boston

Post by rickde »

Moving from Germany to Boston in October. It is going to be a real pain in the arse, but duty calls. Anyone know any cool guitar shop hang outs in Boston? Any other Boston advice would be appreciated as well.
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

If you come to Boston, you should come for the springtime....will you be staying there with friends because they have lots of room??...
1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Boston is a great city. For guitar stores, there's Daddy's Junky Music on Mass Ave right across the street from the Berklee College of Music, but they have pretty much what their name implies. Just a block away is another store Heminway (sp?) St., but I forget the name. There's a Guitar Center on Comm Ave near Boston University and a decent store, Mr. Music, in Allston. All are near a Green line T (subway/trolley) stop.

Best advice for Boston? Get to know the T because you can forget about trying to park a car. There is so much history there you could live there for years and never see it all. It's a relatively small city so you can do a lot of walking. Do it. Forget about using an umbrella when it rains. You'll get swept away like Mary Poppins. Don't wear anything with a Yankees logo on it.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah the T is cheap and easy, the Comm Ave GC has a lot of nice guitars and basses there, a lot of vintage stuff but very few Rics. Driving in Boston is terrible. Good city for blues and rock and roll though. Lots of original bands and places to play and no money. There are a lot of good blues jams around and a lot of good musicians. Is a big rock a billy scene here, also a big blues scene, also a lot of punk. Is a nice city, the T saves it. Don't wear anything the says Yankees on it as Erik says, but don't waste your time watching the Bum Socks. The rain isn't really that bad, usually anyway.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Actually though GC drove the only really good music store in Boston out of business: Wurtlitzers; was an institution for many years, bought my first Ric there in 77. Nothing has really taken it's place.
rickde

Post by rickde »

Thanks for the advice. I'm moving there; not staying with friends. I'll be working downtown near the Fleet Center. Apartment prices are outrageous! Any suggestions on neighborhoods near downtown with reasonable rent? This post really isn't Ric related so Pete may cut it; if you could email me privately I'd appreciate any advice: borgodivagli@yahoo.com
trick_knee

Post by trick_knee »

To actually see some Rics in stock, make a 2 hour drive north to Manchester NH and the only Ric dealer in the state, Belisle Music. It's a genuine Mom & Pop store and they usually have at least a half dozen Rics in stock. I walked in there 3 years ago and saw a 4004CI AND a 4004CII hanging on the wall...I walked out with the CI!
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

If you'll be working near the Fleet Center, try looking for a place in the towns north of the city. I lived in Salem for a few years and the rents were reasonable. Look at the commuter rail lines for an idea of places you can get easy public transportation from. www.mbta.com
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Post by scottpro1969 »

There's a great RIC dealer in Tewksbury, MA...just 40 or so miles north of Boston not too far off Rte. 93 where I've bought several RICs in the past. They usually have a few basses and 8-10 guitars in stock. They're called Tewksbury Music Center. Definitely check them out.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

If you move to Boston, will you change your name to Rick Boston? Just curious! Image
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
rickde

Post by rickde »

I finally got somewhat settled here in Boston. This is my first visit to the forum since September. I've only seen two music stores around here. One across the street from Berklee which is "Daddy's" and Guitar Center out in Peabody. Which T stop is the GC on Comm Ave?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

It's either BU East, Central, or West on the Green line's B train. Look for the Radio Shack on the Boston-bound side and the BU chapel on the outbound side. All 3 stops are within walking distance of each other.
rickde

Post by rickde »

Thanks Erik. I found another Daddy's Junk Guitars shop today on Rt 1. Kind of small, but had a couple nice things.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Have you checked out the store behind the Daddy's near Berklee? It's on the corner of Boylston and Hemenway steets. If you're taking the the Green line's B train the Guitar Center, take it up to the Harvard ave stop and walk down Harvard to Mr Music. When I lived near there they always had a decent amount of rics. http://www.coolguitars.com
bluespckr

Post by bluespckr »

Welcome to Boston, Rick.

As you've discovered, the cost of living here is outrageous. Many folks (myself included) commute from New Hampshire via the commuter rail system, but housing prices in southern NH are pretty grim, too.

Nashua has a GC and a Daddy's, as well as another music place (forget the name) just off the corner of Spit Brook Road and the Daniel Webster Highway near the Pheasant Lane Mall. I have never seen a Ric in any Nashua music store, and that includes long-gone stores as well. I had to trust my choice to mail order (ugh) ...

But welkommen am Boston -- sie haben eine frohlichen weinachten (sorry 'bout the spelling).

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”