Does Harrison still own his other 360/12 from 1965?

The history and music of the Fab Four
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Does Harrison still own his other 360/12 from 1965?

Post by jeff »

Does anyone out there know whether George Harrison still owns the other 360/12 that he got on the 1965 U.S. tour?
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Jeff: Some of us discussed this a while back in the Beatles' Forum under Beatles/Bee Gees Vox connection...it may be possible that one of the Bee Gees ended up with George's round-top 360/12 after the Beatles stopped touring in 1966, along with some of the Beatles Vox amplifiers. George has said in previous interviews that it "went missing" but hopefully it will resurface again one day soon so that we may all see it.
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

Thanks leftybass, I missed out on that discussion.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jeff: I question of this nature certaily bears repeating and revisiting many times. It is a mystery tha need to be resolved. Let the quest begin anew!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

I agree Peter. I did read the story that leftybass is refering to. But I don't recall that it was specifically Harrison's 360/12 that one of the Bee Gees ended up with. Beatlefan magazine reported on the story, and I don't have it with me at the moment. I'll dig it out tonight and see what I can pass along.
Here's another question: Anyone have any info or specs on the 4003S/5 (in JG) that Macca used as a back-up bass to his Wal 5-string during the 1989/1990 tour? I read it in Guitar Player magazine back in 1990 (June issue).
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Peter and Jeff: I agree... I think it would be really cool to provide an answer to the remaining 'unknowns'...George only used the round-top 360/12 for a very short period in the Beatles' history and only on two songs in the studio--"If I Needed Someone" and an alternate take of "And Your Bird Can Sing" (on Anthology 2).

How hard a task will it be to identify this guitar?? Will the history trail be enough?? The search continues....Image
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

leftybass is indeed correct. I found the story that is was in fact the '65 360/12 that went to Maurice Gibb who no longer owns it unfortunately.
I'll research my questions in the future more carefully before I ask a dumb question next time.
So I guess the real question is where it ended up after it left Maurice Gibb's posession. Oh well, add it to the unsolved mysteries list along with Macca's '61 Hofner 'Cavern' model that was last seen in the "Revolution" video.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

George says in his Guitar Player interview that
luckily it wasn't his first Rick 12 that was stolen. He says it was the 2nd one with the rounded tops. I don't believe the Bee Gees ever
ended up with it and there are no photos to prove
it. I believe it was stolen because of his comments in Guitar Player of November, 1987.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Larry: Good point; this is what everyone runs up against when trying to 'read between the lines'..in an interview done with Paul McCartney a while back he talked about the first Hofner bass he had, and how he said it was easy to play even though he had to flip it upside-down. Is he speaking of Stu's bass, or is he talking about his first 500/1?? Is he talking about the Club 40 given to him by John Lennon? (That one he DID play upside-down)...John Lennons '58 325 was at one point reported stolen as well...I guess it is possible we may never know exactly what happened--not to say George is 'cloudy' on the events, but there are many stories floating about that tend to lead people off the beaten path, wherever that is !!!! Image
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

I've always heard that Macca's first Hofner bass was a righty that he flipped and restrung. He made specific comments about the fact that it was symmetrical and therefore would look OK the other way round.

I also recall hearing the "stolen" story on George's rounded/back bound 360/12

Considering all the substances these guys consumed in the '65 - '75 timeframe, it a wonder they can remember their names...
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

I think its safe to say that all of Paul's Hofner 500/1 (violin) basses were all factory left-handed. If he did play Stu's bass (a Hofner President) its definitely NOT symmetrical...a lot of Paul's stuff from the Beatle days is right-handed which he plays upside-down, strung for a lefty..NOT his basses, though.

Some one may have George's 1965 360/12 and not even know it. Hope someone sniffs it out one day.
me

Post by me »

Paul like the violin bass because it could go either way, lefty and righty bodies are identicle. The bass went missing during the first few weeks of the "Let It Be" sessions.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”