Any advice on a new car?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Hehe ;) Nothing against wagons at all. Actually I just tested a Toyota Matrix this evening. I liked *everything* about including the
-price
-features
-carrying capacity
-interior
-power (Enough for my needs anyway.)
-styling

BUT . . . the problem was the damned seat was uncomfortable.

My legs are short for my height. I am 5'11" yet have a hard time finding pants with a short enough inseam in retail stores. I also have the most pronounced bowleggedness of anyone I have ever known - if somebody steamed and straightened my legs I'd be an inch taller at leastImage

ANyway, the seat was too far off the pedals to feel comfortable at all. Very annoying Image

I also tested the Honda hybrid. THis one had the continuously variable transmission - it's an automatic but does not have those discrete jumps between gears because it replaces geared wheels with some sort of belt mechanism. VERY Smooth and fun to drive. Image MOre comfortable than the matrix by far. MOre pricy too Image

VW still loses out on reliability Image
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

To paraphrase Pete Townshend, I hope I drive before I get old.

One answer for overall economy is to buy an old dinosaur bone burner (big V-8 rig) and just use it for the heavier hauling and bad weather days. It doesn't have to be expensive. Used autos in excellent condition are dirt cheap around here because the Dallas area has lots of folks with the ability to buy new vehicles. I've seen a train of a half dozen Mexicans driving used autos back to Mexico, with each driven vehicle having another vehicle in tow. Unfortunately, used clean pickups still have higher pricing than cars around here.

You can get a little vehicle for the everyday local trips that require no hauling. I noticed that mopeds are making a comeback. One model at the local Suzuki dealer has a 600cc motor and a trunk for carrying a sack of groceries. That's one serious moped, and can cruise 70 without breaking a sweat. Even on the farm when I was growing up, the pickup truck rarely got used for anything but hauling loads, because it was a V-8 International and it rode and drove like a truck meant to carry a ton, which it could and more, like a 13' disc broke down into sections. I went most places on my motorcycle in the summer, at about 60 MPG on 33 cent gas in 1971-73. I filled up on 50 cents of gas. I can't believe I'm sounding like an old timer. Doesn't seem that far back. I'm seriously considering a moped myself. They're fairly safe on back streets and country highways. My dad was telling me about this old guy that came through Arkansas all the way from California on his moped recently. He was getting over 100 MPG. Even Pete Townshend might revert back to his old Mod days and get one. Wouldn't that make a cool ad for a moped maker? Pete at the old folks' home playing some windmill guitar beside his trusty Vespa. It's the New Age of Scooter Trash, and he's talking about his generation and hoping he drives before he's too old. If Vespa was smart, they would grab him and make a commercial. The two biggest makers of two-wheeled vehicles in Europe are Piaggio (Vespa) and Aprilia. A moped can be hauled in the pickup during a move or during a camping trip or vacation. I predict that mopeds will make a big comeback. Maybe they never fell out of fashion in Europe. I've heard there are people that are actually touring cross country on mopeds in groups these days. Maybe that's the end of the reign of Harley-Davidson as the king of two-wheelers on America's roads, the Cushman Eagle comeback. Ha! Image Maybe Lloyd and Harry were ahead of their time in that "Dumb and Dumber" movie. Trade in that V-8 van, man!

For what that Suzuki 600cc moped cost, I could get a clean used van. Personally, I'm waiting for 600cc dirt 'peds to come on the scene. I always hated all that mud thrown up by the front wheel splashing on me. A proper country gent should be able to get across his estate without needing to don the Wellies and Mac on every trip.....eh, Pete?

John, a lot of mopeds have continuously variable transmissions, and hell, a short guy can just stand up on the floorboards and let 'er rip across town. I see bowlegs as a distinct advantage to the moped lifestyle. Large bags of everyday necessities can be carried and gripped between the legs. Even a respectable sized amp. Hope you drive before you get old.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

A moped would work GREAT for security purposes! Just use a bicycle chain attached to the front porch!

I wonder whether one can "pimp out" a moped with "spinnas," as my students would say.

I'd be a little leery of taking my laptop (Which is basically a permanent appendage at this point) on a moped. Forget to close the carrying case in a strong breeze. . . . whoosh! . . . .data, data everywhere!
-Napoleon
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

John, I had a lot of stuff typed, but my computer coughed and spit it all out. The following link says most of what meant anyway:

www.piaggio.com

Think about it: a clean pickup truck or van + a new moped = the price of an ordinary sedan with a lot more usefulness and no more costly to operate if you ride the moped whenever it is practical. You also have a spare vehicle.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Interesting idea. . . I like the moped aspect more than the pickup/van aspect. If I didn;t haul a fair amoutn of heavy paraphernalia back and forth to work everyday I'd consider it. I'd probably go for a wagon over a pickup though.

I like the gas mileage + maintenance angle a lot.
-Napoleon
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

I don't know what kind of town you live in, but for small towns and country roads a moped is fine in fair weather. I wouldn't ride one of these things in Dallas freeway traffic, however. These are good for nontechnical women folk and such. I saw a guy today on a new motorcycle with a big V-8 car motor. That's Texas for you. Get a motorcycle that has a bigger motor than most cars.

I like the BV200 for around town, but I think the X9 would be better for riding two up on longer trips. I once considered the Honda 350 as the bare minimum motorcycle for riding two up on the highway. I'm going to look into some moped reviews. I think a neat idea would be a removable storage case that mounts where the gas tank would be on a regular motorcycle. It gives your knees something to grip. I miss that on a moped.
billikenn
Veteran RRF member

Post by billikenn »

Ford has the only affordable cars I know of with the adjustable gas/brake pedals.
Is that an option on the Focus? I know the focus gets very good handeling reviews, but how does it compare in reliability?

Also, when I was parking in the deck today I saw a Toyota Prius. Nice looking car, seems to be the type your after. 5 door compact.
and its a hybrid
although starting at 21 it migt be a bit steep. gas mileage doesnt save all that much money unless you keep it a long time. you do get a tax deduction for buying it though.

JP
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

I saw Ford Focus cars while in France, so they must be good to go up against the little M-B and Peugeot sedans. I was getting over 40 MPG in the little M-B A-class car I rented, but like you say, at a MSRP of $32K at the time, you would really have to drive a lot to get any savings. Of course, French gas was over $4 per gallon, and with the devaluation of our Dollar vs. the Euro, it's well over $5/gal by now. The M-B had lots of zip and very good handling. I was glad to climb back in my F-150 when I got back. It's much quieter than the M-B A-class and has a better stereo.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Josh,. . .

It's an academic question at this point. I saw a Prius when I was testing others toyota. . . cool looking/concept car. Unfortunately all the ones locally have been spoken for months ago Image

I just got back from the Honda dealer with an '05 hybrid. Blue one. The finish is a lot like . . . midnite blue actually, the sparkle version.

The first three miles were great. Now it's the next 99,997 that I need to pay off. I got a decent though not great deal - according to the Edmunds car site it beat the average "street price" by a modest amount.
-Napoleon
billikenn
Veteran RRF member

Post by billikenn »

thats cool to hear.
I suppose you got the infinite vari tranny on it?

Got a quick question for ya, when honda first introduced that trans in the civic they were programming it to feel like a normal shifting gear trans. rather then for optimum acceleration
to make it seem more normal to the public,was the reason I read. does your car have a shifing feeling? or is it pretty much smooth RPM progression through the acceleration band?

JP

Just in a side note, the Ford focus was designed by a team of German engineers that ford hired to come to america for teh project. the frame engineering quality is reflected in the handeling reviews.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Yeah, I've got the infinite one. . . it's very cool but weird - it's the smooth transition one
-Napoleon

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”