U-2 and The Pretenders in R&R HOF, WHAT??

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

U-2 and The Pretenders in R&R HOF, WHAT??

Post by scottpro1969 »

Oh what a joke. Although I like both bands music, I find it more and more difficult to stomach who gets "enshrined" in the HOF each year. When so many others are more deserving and have broken more ground than just staying together for 25 odd years. Here's a link showing who is in. I can replace a great many of these artists with others I feel more deserving and influential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductees_of_the_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame#1986

Namely Rush, YES, ELP....just to name a few. Just one persons thought. I could go on, but won't. Curious to see others opinions.
jaime_h

Post by jaime_h »

What about Percy Sledge? Sang one good song (When a man loves a woman) and for this he gets in???
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I completely agree that progressive bands like Yes, Rush, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. belong in. The musicianship in those bands has inspired so many since. On the other hand I believe that U2 and The Pretenders belong there more than many who are in. Both bands have put out a ton of great music that has inspired most of the people I knew back in the early 80's including myself. Percy sledge had a lot more music on the radio back in the day than just the one song. Oldies radio is as bad these days as stations that play current music. So many of the bands that only have one song on oldies radio now had a string of hits in the '60's. Percy sledge still tours and not with just one song. I really do have to wonder what the criteria the "judges" use is though.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

It inevitably comes down to a personal judgment on what "good" music is. THat judgment is one of subjective aesthetics. It's not moral or factual. It varies depending on the listener. There is no one, golden standard of musical worth. IMO most of those type of artistic awards are counterproductive.

That being said, I love early U2 and feel they belong there as much as anybody else. In the '80s they provided a real alternative to the "classic rock" and hairmetal scenes. Along with REM.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I honestly wouldn't worry about who does or doesn't get 'enshrined' in the HOF. Nobody worth listening to has ever played music as the price of admission to get into something like that anyway. As soon as something like a Board of Directors gets involved, everything ceases to be both art and rock and roll. It doesn't bother me a wit to know that none of my favorite Rick slingers and otherwise jangly guitarists(i.e. Paul Weller, Robyn Hitchcock, Martin Newell, Dave Gregory, etc) will ever be chosen. And I doubt they care either. It should be a non-issue.
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

I think John Mellencamp summed it up best when he talked about Jann Wenner (one of the RnRHF directors), "He either likes you, or he doesn't".
If the general public had it's say on who gets in, things would be vastly different.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

The R&R HOF is a joke! In another year we'll have rap, then I completely will never watch. It's all about selling TV commercial time and selling the R&R HOF to the public. It was good at first because there were so many deserving acts but eventually it had to come to this. Now it gets worse -- mark my words.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Hey, just wait till bands like NSYNC, Blink 182 and Green Day start becoming eligible. Maybe Britney Spears will do the induction ceremonies. I wonder if Paul Schaffer will still be conducting the band?
relayer
Veteran RRF member

Post by relayer »

Apparently Jann Wenner has specifically stated in the past that bands such as Yes will never get in as long as he's at the helm.
bluespckr

Post by bluespckr »

It's too bad the R&RHoF doesn't allow one or two inductees a year to come from public nominations/votes. That might help right the wrong of omitting artists like Yes from being enshrined. I mean, I was never a big Yes fan, but I do appreciate what they brought to the table in terms of the development of rock and roll. They It truly was a unique band in its day. There are many others who are similarly deserving, but who might otherwise never take their place in the Hall without public input.

The judges, whoever they are, need to look beyond their personal likes and dislikes when it comes to making their selections. Y'know, suck it up and look at the bigger picture.

As far as Percy Sledge goes, he's a good singer, but let's face it -- he is and will always be known as a "one hit wonder" and I don't think that's enough in itself to qualify anyone for selection. Did that one song really do much to shape music? Certainly the singer did not. I have to call it like I see it, and I think Jaime is dead on on this one.

Return to “News At 11”