George's 1st Rick 12str...

The history and music of the Fab Four
Kenny

George's 1st Rick 12str...

Post by Kenny »

Did George's first 360/12 have crushed inlays? When was the switch from the "chip" to the crushed?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

"Did George's first 360/12 have crushed inlays? When was the switch from the "chip" to the crushed?"
No. George's 1st Rick 12, the doublebound 360-12[and the 2nd Ever Rick 12 mfd.],had what are referred to by some as "linoleum" inlays.They are
what I would describe loosely as,"the inlay that the current reissue series tries to approximate",
though seen side by side, you would see the 2 styles are different.John Hall, can you add anything you may know regarding why that early inlay material was called "linoleum"? I somehow have a hard time believing that actual flooring material was used for this, but as it was first seen on 50s instruments,and the 50s produced some
different design ideas seen commercially, who knows?
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

The factory tested several sample materials for the new 360/12C63 http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/36012c63.htm until a DNA match was found for the inlay. You won't be let down if you have one of these on order.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Nick,
the C64 shown here, I assume is the prototype?
My eyes are telling me that the "trencehes" for the other 6 strings on the headstock face are Wider than originals were. Based on Many 60s Rick 12s I've seen,the width of that channel is typically 1/4" wide.So what's the dimension on this one??
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I wonder why the material for the crushed inlays can't be replicated...it's soooooooooo sexy, and would have made, say, the 360CW a tad more authentic (although I saw one in a shop today and BOY is it a nice guitar...really feels like an old one).

Return to “Beatles' Forum”