$1,000,000,000 offered for world tour

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Actually, to let you know how far back in the sticks in Texas I worked, culturally that is, here's a story to prove it. I went to 5 different women where I worked, all of them would have been teenagers during ABBA's heyday in the late 70's. I asked them what they thought about ABBA. NONE of them had the slightest inkling what I was talking about. When I explained to one of them that ABBA was from Sweden, and spelled the name A-B-B-A for her, she asked me if that was something like a SAAB. Another gal said that they only listened to stuff like Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton at her house when she was growing up. All of them knew who the Beatles were, but they couldn't name all the members. Naming ALL the members of a rock group usually ended at Elvis Presley for them. Unbelieveable if I hadn't asked the questions myself. At another town 30 miles away, a college student that worked in a used CD store said that everybody at college knew who ABBA was, and their music was often played at college dances. My friend told me that he worked with a woman at a hospital in Paris, TX, who was in her 40's and had never been to Oklahoma (20 miles away at most). Another woman had never been to Dallas (about 80 miles). There were more people like that in Bonham than I had first suspected. Strangely, when you drove into that part of the state, radio signals would disappear and you were left with very little radio coverage. Fannin County literally missed out on much of the popular musical culture that the rest of us take for granted. If it didn't come over very local country stations, or night time long distance AM with a clear signal, it just didn't get there. There was something about the demography, topography or ground mineralization that made radio signals disappear, so few stations from adjacent cities included that area in their broadcast pattern. Things are changing some now, with the internet and all.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Ah...a rational and scientific explanation for the "red states"....
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

...and now, try to ask the same about the Beatles! I'm pretty sure there'd be much less people who couldn't reproduce a Beatles' tune than those who can't reproduce Abba's...
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Dane, good one! Image
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009

Return to “News At 11”