1910 Fruitgum Co. offered 10,000,000,000 to tour

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rictified

1910 Fruitgum Co. offered 10,000,000,000 to tour

Post by rictified »

the associated press, Podunk Me.
Since Don King has gotten out of the boxing business he has found a new line of work promoting "great acts from the past" He says
fans are clamoring for "Simple Simon Says" and "Chewy Chewy" among other timeless hits of the bubblegum era. "I expect to make a killing" he says. He has even jettisoned his trademark orange "finger in the socket" hairstyle in favor of a more modern late 60's mop top look for his latest business venture. In a related deal, he and Philco are bankrolling Abba's comeback which is tentatively billed as the "Billion Dollar Babys" tour, pending Alice Coopers permission. There have been no comments from Alice as of yet, although bystanders have said they heard high pitched shrieking sounds from his office yesterday.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I think Baloon Farm and Strawberry Alarm Clock will be there as well ... and maybe the Cowsills ...

3 dog night was going to join but they couldn't get all the dogs together ...

maybe ABBA can get flock of seagulls haircuts?

opps ... gotta go ... I'm going to a Neil Diamond concert ...
marc61

Post by marc61 »

When I was growing up, the neighbors had a son who owned a record company called Buddah records. Home of 1910 Fruitgum Co, Elephant's Memory and the Brooklyn Bridge. The company went bankrupt and he later discovered this garage rock band who played in makeup and costume as well as a young female singer who would revolutonize a new style of dance music. The man's name was Neil Bogart and the acts were Kiss and Donna Summer.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
rictified

Post by rictified »

I remember Buddah records, were a pretty big label for a while.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

I,d have loved to played bass on the early Donna Summer stuff from Giorgio,s Munich Machine. "Love to Love You Baby" is just so cool a groove...
rictified

Post by rictified »

How about: Don't mess with Bill, the Marvelettes?
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I think Baloon Farm and Strawberry Alarm Clock will be there as well

I think not. Image SAC was strictly considered a psychedelic rock band, not bubblegum at all. Balloon Farm was apparently just a studio group but you'll find "A Question of Temperature" on garage and psych compilations, not bubblegum.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Bob, this is for you: http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/index.htm

Really a good site if you're interested at all.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

More obscure old bands ...

how about the Standells, the box tops, blue cheer, the association, the turtles, the McCoys, John Fred and his playboy band, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Young Rascles, Bread, The Seeds ...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Some of those bands were not all that obscure.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Jeff, the only one of those bands that would be considered bubblegum by any stretch is John Fred.

None of those bands were obscure in their time. And Paul Revere & the Raiders were just hugely popular ca. 1965-67.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

once it gets old enough it doesn't matter if it is bubblegum or not ... it is just old ... I was listneing to one by the Beatles ... it was like music from a whole different century ... oh ya it is ...

my favorite old bands are ...

Dusty Cocunuts, Waterlogged Gorilla Fingers, Wild Woodpecker Revue, and The Aquiline Dimension of the Mind ...
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

you guys do know that I'm messing with your retro tastes???

seriuosly ... the old music that I listen to would be stuff like Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd ...
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Not a matter of taste, Jeff, I like some of those bands and dislike others. I'm just saying that they weren't considered bubblegum and weren't obscure.

Paul Revere & the Raiders were on Dick Clark's "Where The Action Is" five days a week. Like 'em or not, everybody knew who they were.
rictified

Post by rictified »

What a coincidence I was just going to write that I used to sing "Gimme gimmme good lovin", and it came on the radio. I also made the mistake of trying 123 red light in a band about ten years ago, I couldn't shake that song for the entire length of the band.
Yeah those bands weren't bubblegum at all, bubble is a specific genre of music. A lot of those bands were garage bands, I don't even consider John Fred and his Playboy band to be bubblegum, commercial yes, bubblegum no.
Good website Dave.
My younger sisters were in love with Bobby Sherman.

Return to “News At 11”