4003 Wiring Harness

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

baltimucho

4003 Wiring Harness

Post by baltimucho »

This is last thing I need for my '82 project.

All I have are the selector switch and jack plate. I would like to build the harness myself and need some input as far as pots and a simple wiring diagram making both outputs mono.

My bridge pickup is a Sergio Extra-Spicy-Special, and I'm still looking for a neck pickup (Hint, hint... I'll take anything right now.) I'm also guessing I would like higher rated pots without the capacitors.

Suggestions on pots? Any diagrams or neck pickups laying around? I have a kick-@$$ soldering iron!

::m::
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Mike Parks has them prewired with volume tone and toggle ready to plug in for $60 ...

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ric.htm

I have a 1979 4001 high gain neck pickup that I am willing to sell ... you can also get toaster and 4003 high gain pickups from Mike Parks ...

if you wire it up from scratch it is good to have another Ric to open up and use as a guide ...

remember 250k pots for volume and 500k pots for tone and use .047 tone capaciters
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

the 79 4001 high gain is similar to a 4003 high gain ... the 4001 high gain is about 8.5 k ohms and the 4003 high gain is about 11 k ohms ... so the 4003 high gain is a little hotter and thicker sounding ...
baltimucho

Post by baltimucho »

I know I can buy the pre-wired kits, but since I'd just take out the capacitors and undo the stereo output, I figured I could just do it all from scratch for a lot less. No? I only have to buy 4 pots. I have everything else.

Jeff, email me directly about that high-gain and we'll work something out.

Ted, thanks for the schematics, but I saw those and they make NO SENSE to me. Well, a little sense, but not enough to wire everything to the right place, missing capacitors and mono jack not withstanding.

I need a crayon drawing, or a nice picture under someones pickguard. Please?

jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

If you are going to start wiring basses then reading the schematic diagram is a skill you need to master ...

take a bass that is wired and then compare it to a schematic ... do this with a few different instruments and you will figure out the symbols ... it ain't rocket science ...
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

If I were you I would put a 4003 high gain or a toaster in the neck position ... but if you want the '79 neck pickup I can sell it to you at a fair price ...
jaymi
Advanced Member

Post by jaymi »

I may need the 79 pickup as well if it is not grabbed. Email me Jeff...
78 Purple 4001
88 BLACKSTAR
89 BLACKSTAR
89 Mid Blue
91 Mid Blue
baltimucho

Post by baltimucho »

Jeff... It's obvious my stupidity has angered you! Image

I found this "schematic": http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/lipstick_tube_version1.html (Ooooh... pictures and pretty colors!)

Is this the same wiring? (Keeping stock RIC pot specs and minus the capacitors of course.) And in making the Ric-0-Sound mono, do I just parrallel the 2 jacks, or do I somehow mono-fy the stereo jack?

I'll let Jaymi take the p.u. and I'll opt for Toaster, since they look so danged kewl.

Hey... BTW, thanks for your help. I realize your frustration in not being able to choke the **** outta me online. Image

::m:: (Who just figured out how to insert a smiley face! And, you think I can figure out a schematic?! HA!)
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

no way ... I'm not mad at you at all ... I'm just trying to get you up to speed for wiring your bass ... it takes a lot to get me mad ... I am pretty mellow ...

here's a photo of a ric that I rewired ... some of the wires are hard to follow in this photo ... it is wired mono and no bass cut capaciter ...

baltimucho

Post by baltimucho »

AWESOME! THANKS!

That will get me started! I also talked my bass player into bringing his '84 4003 (which he HATES to play) to my house and letting me take it apart, in exchange for new strings. HA!

You rule.

jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

when I get a chance I get a few more photos of Ric wirings ...

the fun starts when you try to fix one of these ...

Somebody did a glob on solder job on the input jack ... the jack was funky so I had to remove it and get a new jack in there ... it took a little creative repair work to get it all working right ... the circuit board was damaged and I had to use a wire jumper to get it functioning again ...
baltimucho

Post by baltimucho »

I don't do boards. ;)

You da man, tho! If you have more pics to send, you can send them to me personally so you don't have to re-size them.

johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I see someone soldered directly to the connector lugs and in such a way that a short is quite likely. You might want to find a Molex plug and pins at an electronics surplus house to put it back to original condition, or at least put a little sleeving on those leads.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I fixed and sold that bass a while ago ... but yep it was a gobbed up solder job and yes it did short out ... I used a Carvin jack plate and jack and ran wires to the circuit board ... finally it worked correctly ...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”