Aussie & NZ Concours d'Elegance

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Aussie & NZ Concours d'Elegance

Post by ozover50 »

Seeing as there are a number of devotees down here in the southern hemisphere (and it appears many vintage & collectable Rics), maybe we could put together an event some time in the future.

My step father is a mad keen Citroen fan and each year attends an event called the 'Cit-in'. It is held in different location each year and it's a gathering of all like-minded people over a weekend.

Maybe we could have a try a similar thing, even if only for a day. If it turns out be be a 'once only' event then at least we could say we were there! With air fares at their lowest ever, cost shouldn't be overwhelming (unless you've got 25 Rics and want to take them all!).

I'm sure a lot of us would like to meet, jam, drink, eat, etc. and share our passion for the Rickenbacker name as well as our instruments, technical knowledge, musical experiences, etc.

There could be a Concours d'Elegance with a number of categories:

Best vintage 6 and 12
Best vintage bass
Best restoration
Best overall
Worst modification
Best & worst player (I'm a shoe-in for the latter)
Anybody think of any more?

Maybe somebody from the States could come over and be a guest judge or something.

What would it be called?

Perhaps 'Southern Ric-in', 'Ricspo', 'Ric-o-Rama', 'SHRIC' (Southern Hemisphere Rics), 'Ricspose' (pronounced ric-spo-say)?

Commemorative T-shirt or polo shirt, stubby holder, cap, jacket, whatever! I can probably arrange all that stuff.

This may all sound a bit crazy from a new guy (OK, I'll admit to having a few beers tonight!), but what do you think?

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?

Cheers!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Howard,

Great idea! Count me in!

As for the name of the event, what about 'Rick-o-Go-Go' or for a real Aussie slant we could try 'Rickorroborrie'!! (chuckles to himself as he reaches for another beer).

How about "Janglefest"???

Cheers!
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Yeah, well......

The more I think about it the more stupid it sounds. The logistics could be horrendous (accommodation, venue, amps, etc. Not to mention drums, etc. if we want them).

Damn those stubbies (read 'small bottle of beer' if your from other parts of the universe)! They'll be the ruin of me. My semi-inebriated ramblings!!

Great names, though. Love 'Rickorroberie'.

If we were more mainstream and into Fenders it could be called 'Strat-o-Various'!

Maybe instead we could ask Peter McC if we could start a new topic. Something to do with Australia/NZ. And perhaps organize a special piece of Ric clothing for the Oz/NZ connection (no doubt we'd have to get JH's OK if we wanted to use anything official).

Hmmmm..... I'll sleep on it.

And as he finishes his stubbie and wearily trudges to the bedroom, he realises that he still hasn't lowered the action on the 330. Best he does it in the sober daylight hours.

Cheers (burp!!)
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”