Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

325_fan

Vox AC30CC

Post by 325_fan »

Anyone see one of these yet?
kalimusic

Post by kalimusic »

korg sez shipping will begin in late march or early april.
4003360man

Post by 4003360man »

Since Korg took over the VOX line, I've heard bad things. About the only thing they make that I trust (as far as the Vox line goes) is their classic line of Wah pedals.

"Back in the day" I had a choice between a new Korg made Vox AC30 and a Matchless Lightning 15. The Matchless sounded more like a Vox than the Vox did. Obviously I bought the Matchless.

But, if they "tweaked" the new line to sound better, make sure and post it.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."-Bill Hicks
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Korg took over the Vox line back in '92 or so and their first amps were the '93 Korg AC30 reissues, of which I have one and bought it new in '93. It sounds great, and I've never had an ounce of problems with it except a bit of ghost noting, and that is because I play it very loud and probably abuse teh speakers, so they are giving me cone cry. It does not do it though other speakers so I know it is the speakers and not the amp.
Until recently, all the Korg AC30's were made in the Marshall factory by Marshall, so I don't see how they could have much of a bad quality reputation any more than Marshall does. I did hear some bad things about the AC15 reissue with master volume that Korg did, and that is probably why it was discontinued. I never have heard any bad stuff about the Korg reissue AC30 however. The main thing with the AC30 was to make sure you got the Celestion Blue speakers rather than the greenbacks.

As far as wah pedals go, in my experience, the Geoffrey Teese pedals are WAY superior to the Dunlops and Vox reissues out there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Greg: I quite agree. When Korg took over, the Vox AC30 was at the top of its list. They really made a concerted effort from 1993 until the late 1990s to build the best possible AC30 that they realistically could at the time. They spent considerable energy bringing back the old specs.

I never really understood the need for a standby switch given the return to the GZ34 rectifier tube, either than most of us have grown accustomed to this switch and use it on short breaks. Then again, perhaps I don't fully undertand the purpose of the rectifier tube.

I too have never had a problem with my 1996 Vox AC30 Reissue.

We will have to wait an see how these amps stand up now that they are made in China.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
roadrunners

Post by roadrunners »

I have had the opprotunity to try one recently....and I would certainly say that the vox AC30CC is a vast improvment on the pre-china amps. It seems very well made, and sounds great too.
"This is my personal quote"
patrickkelly

Post by patrickkelly »

I have two Korg-era UK-made Voxes (AC-15 and AC-30HW )and they are fantastic amps. The features on the new CC's look very useful.

Korg is doing what they have to do--keeping the traditionalists happy while also taking advantage of the benefits new technology can impart on tube amps. They are also trying to do this while hitting a price target. Not an easy task, trying to meet all these criteria, but I think they've done a very fine job with the Vox brand.
oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

I just bought a AD60VTX, I really hope it sounds great.

I was attracted to it because of all the amps it models. I would really like a AC30 but I can't afford one, so this one will hopefully do the trick at a fraction of the cost of a real AC30.

Can't wait to plug-in into that baby!
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Karl: Absolutely stunning. Please describe and tell all!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
patrickkelly

Post by patrickkelly »

Karl, I've got the same amp!

Have you swapped out the stock tubes yet? I haven't even looked at what's in there...Ei's, I'd guess.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

My AC30HW has Ei golds in the power section and stock Ei's in the preamp stage. I'm thinking about going 100% Mullard as they will take it to the zenith!

The 370A64-T10 started out as a 360V64 JetGlo. I bought it used a couple of years ago. It was made in 1995.

The clear coat was flaking off in areas when I purchased it. Other than that, it was solid and ready for the custom work I intended to have done to it.

In late 1984 I custom ordered a 370WB JetGlo which became my main guitar for most of the 80's until the guitar was damaged in late 1989. For years, I missed that guitar. I decided to have a vintage style custom version made in tribute.

I have owned dozens of Rickenbackers and have always leaned toward the sound of triple pickup models. I play mostly on the bridge but I love the sound of the magnets pull and how it affects the strings even if the other two pickups are not on. I originally ordered the 370WB in 1984 as a tribute to my two favorite Beatle models (Harrisons OS-12 and Lennons 325's) sort of mixed together.

I really wanted to 'do a number' on this project and make a great player that sounded fab at the same time. I consider this my 'signature' model (sorry folks, this model is now taken!). lol

I collected a handful of original 60's parts including three vintage toasters and an early 'solid' R tail piece (a Townshend thing).

I took the guitar to Mark Arnquist and left a list of things I wanted to have done.

The guitar was stripped, refretted and refinished by Mark. The finish is like a Steinway piano! A flat-pole toaster is at the neck with two long-poles in the middle and bridge. All screws changed to vintage specs including a vintage 'overhaul' of the modern bridge.

The guitar also was given the 'Arnquist spread'. New saddles and a new nut were installed. The frets were replaced with stock size frets but with the meat left on. The frets are the same guage as what came from the factory but are much higher than a standard Rickenbacker.

The pickguard was replaced with vintage style plexi with hand sanded edges.

The electronics work the same as a McGuinn model but without the active circuitry. Three slave volumes, master volume, master tone. The dual mono input jack is set up now for two different sounds. One jack has a 60's tone cap for vintage tones, the other jack is open for modern tones.

I bought a brand new vintage silver case for it when Mark was finished.

I can't tell you how many Fender/Gibson/PRS guys have picked up my 370A64-T10 and did a double take! The higher frets and spread make this guitar play neck and neck with anything out there!

Of course NOTHING LOOKS OR SOUNDS LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”