Love Me Do

The history and music of the Fab Four
admin
Site Admin

Love Me Do

Post by admin »

Perhaps one of the more magic moments in the Beatles' career is the recording of the song that really put them on the map. While they had earlier recordings and much greater successes, "Love Me Do" let the world know that The Beatles were a unique and special phenomenon. The simple melody, unique harmony and blues harmonica produced a sound that had never been heard before and, in my view, hasn't been heard since. Oh to have been there in the studio on September 4, 1962. John and Paul are shown below sharing this special moment.Image
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tim_Fletcher

Post by Tim_Fletcher »

I don't know about putting them on the map - it was a good song IMO, not a great song but a foretaste of what was to come. Although it reached #17 in the UK charts, it didn't get any real coverage by national radio : when "Please Please Me" came out later (and that really made me sit up and listen) I didn't even realise they'd had a previous single. Hence I can believe the stories that Epstein bought up a lot of records for his Liverpool shop which influenced the chart position. "Love Me Do" passed largely un-noticed in the UK - "Please Please Me" put them on the map.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

For me it was She Loves You and From Me To You.

Those were the first times I heard them in Minnesota.My Mother and a neighbor lady went and bought these for her sons (Jim and Tom Taylor) and me.
We played them till there was more scratch than music.

And my sister for years always wanted me to "TURN IT DOWN !"
She's still saying that .............so are my kids and my Grandkids!
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Tim_Fletcher

Post by Tim_Fletcher »

Yes, in the US you got a completely different sequence of singles as I understand it. In the UK "Love Me Do" went largely un-noticed, "Please Please Me" brough them to public attention and then "From Me To You" went ballistic, the rest is history.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree Tim. Upon further reflection ,I overstated the extent to which it captured the attention of the world at this point. But yes, I guess a taste of what was about to be greatness.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick_harper

Post by rick_harper »

How's about Andy White's weird and muffled playing on the 1st version of "Please Please Me"? It's On Anthology 1. The liners don't mention it, but it is...

Rick Harper
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Yeah - strange playing, no? I think I was a bit disappointed to realize Ringo basically copied Andy's drum breaks from that take. I always thought that was some pretty innovative drumming.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”