Pickup recoil

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Chris:
The newer high-gain pickups are hotter and muddier.
As to the defective pickup, from your description all that's required to fix it is a new length of hookup wire, to be soldered to the end of the coil. Remove the black electrician's tape to access the coil.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
kojakcurtis

Post by kojakcurtis »

The only thing is I think there's a break in the coil wire. I tried resoldering a new wire, but when I meter it I get a reading of zero Ohms.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

A rewind is in order, then.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
kojakcurtis

Post by kojakcurtis »

Thanks for all the info, and for welcoming me to the forum. I'm going to get it done as soon as possible. Dale you mentioned that you recoil pickups.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Yes I do. As you may know I worked for Rick in the 70's so I have the experience. I have rewound many pick ups, it's quite simple if you have the right equipment and coil wire. If you want to send it to me I can rewind your coil to any specs you want: and I will also pot the pick up in hot wax so it will be sealed. Here's a rule of thumb:
higher ohm p-ups have more lows and the lower ohms
around 7K to 8.5Kohms have a brighter sound. No matter who does your repair I suggest you do your homework and decide on the tone you want so you will be pleased with the results. I am in the Portland Oregon FYI
kalimusic

Post by kalimusic »

Hi Chris!
Yu prolly do need a rewind, but just for corrections' sake:
a ZERO Ohm reading on your pup shows a short, not a break. an INFINITE reading would indicate the wire is broken. ZERO results when there is a loop with no resistance: maybe your test probes were making contact or you soldered the leads incorrectly. I would check your solder job again carefully and retest.
Best of luck,
Murali
rictified

Post by rictified »

I missed that.
kojakcurtis

Post by kojakcurtis »

Dale, if you could send me an email with info where to ship, price and everything else I'd appreciate it. If you can get it exact, 10k ohms is what I'm looking for, or as close as possible.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Chris: Fortune Guitars
17585 West Stark st.
Aloha, Oregon 97006
503-629-9812
my computer has been down for 3 weeks, sorry for the delay. dale
kojakcurtis

Post by kojakcurtis »

Actually, I rewound it by hand. Took a while. I'm reinstalling it as we speak. I'll let you know how it sounds. Could'nt get a good reading on it cause I have a needle meter and not digital.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”