Jimi Hendrix and Rickenbacker --- some questions.......

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Jimi Hendrix and Rickenbacker --- some questions.......

Post by leftybass »

Is it possible that Jimi Hendrix used a Rickenbacker 12-string when he recorded the solo for 'Purple Haze'??? Someone give it a listen and tell me what you think....the sound is altered as would be expected from Jimi but you have notes and their octaves played simultaneously...maybe a Rickenbacker???

I have seen a picture of Hendrix from a photo-shoot with a number of his guitars there, one of them a left-handed Rickenbacker 360/12. His Gibson Flying V was another guitar in the photo-shoot. Anybody else remember seeing this pic??
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: I recall. Here is a brief article pertaining to Hendrix from the Rickenbacker Registration Page.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Peter, That's the picture I remember.

And it is not a mirror-image either; it is definitely a lefty 360/12. I think it would be cool to know if that is what he used on 'Purple Haze'......it just doesn't sound like a Strat; it sounds like a different approach in style and instrumentation....
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I think what Hendrix used on Purple Haze was an early Roger Mayer device, that was later called the "Octavia", an octave divider.I don't think Jimi was unaware either, of jazz great Wes Montgomery's octave playing capabilities.Sorry, but I do Not believe a Rick was at work here...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree Don. The Purple Haze recording in the first week of February 1967 was recorded at 7 1/2 ips and sped up to 15 ips for the final version. I believe this was the idea of Chas Chandler which made for a unique sound to say the least. There were numerous guitar parts in this mix, if I remember correctly.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Yep, thats definitely a 360/12 lefty. Notice the R tailpiece. Now....what color could it be? Jetglo? Walnut? Burgandy?
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Since the 360/12 was left-handed, we can assume the other Ricks Jimi owned were lefties too.

Hmmmm.....wonder where they are today????

Are there any other recordings he did that he may have used Rickenbackers on??? Speculation???Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”