M-88

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nargoe

M-88

Post by nargoe »

I have an M-88 and would like to find the electronics. All I have is the cabinet with an 8" Jensen speaker. Also would like to hear from anyone who has the M-88.
Thank you.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Are you perchance talking about an M-8? I have a very old M-8 and just recently had the speaker replaced with an 8" Jensen, which was what the original had, I'm told.
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

The M-88 differs from the M-8 in that besides having a volume control, it also has a tone control.
Member #03
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Ah, I thought it might have been a typo, sorry...
My M-8 has no tone control at all, just volume, but it sounds pretty good with the new Jensen...
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
phillbert_d

Post by phillbert_d »

just picked up an m88 great little amp do you have a wire diagram for the m88 would like to check what under the hood so to say to see if it is all original.
phill
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Phill, just out of curiousity, did you ever live in Northern Michigan? My brother was friends with a Phil Martin who was a guitarist...kinda lost touch. If not, my apologies.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
phillbert_d

Post by phillbert_d »

Sorry Steve AKA Atomic Punk. Born in Podunk Kansas just out side of that little wide spot in the road called jerkwater or as some call it doda, play the Harp not an ax. I'm still looking for a schematic though if anyone has one for the M88 sweet little amp. I must have kinda the first production cause it looks like the M8 speaker is off set from center yet the controls are on the top not on the back like the M8. Sure is an ugly grey color got some character though has cigarette burns on the top where someone would lay a cigarette down for a minute to pay some licks.
Phillbert D aka WWH
mrboziffer

Re: M-88

Post by mrboziffer »

Thread revival.

Does anyone have any info on the M88? A schematic would be nice. I'm guessing they are the same schematic as the M8, except for the obvious tone pot. Are these really rare? I'm just finding out about them and they seem pretty cool. I'm a sucker for tiny 8" combos. :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome John!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

mrboziffer wrote:Thread revival.

Does anyone have any info on the M88? A schematic would be nice. I'm guessing they are the same schematic as the M8, except for the obvious tone pot. Are these really rare? I'm just finding out about them and they seem pretty cool. I'm a sucker for tiny 8" combos. :D
I don't have a schematic but do have 2 M-88 amps -- 1956 and 1960, dated by Jensen speaker codes. I have posted pics recently on the Register. I'm not an electronics guy, but as far as cosmetics go, the '50s style M-88 has a bigger cab, sturdier handle and usually a heavier-magnet speaker than the M-8 or M-8 E models.
mrboziffer

Post by mrboziffer »

The cab is what mainly attracted me to them. Besides the fact that they are gorgeous, I like the idea of a small speaker in a bigger cab. I love 8" speakers and I'd really like to hear one in a larger cab than the normal Champ cab. These M88s look like they fit the bill. The circuit also looks to be more simplistic than a Champ, but I'd have to compare them side to by to tell. That's why I'm interested in a schematic. I'll just use a M8's schematic and see. I think I read somewhere that the preamp was derived from a radio amp.

Your's are beautiful.. especially that blond. How do you like the sound of them? What do you think they would sell for nowadays?

Thanks for the help! :)

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Welcome John!
Thanks! Tomorrow I officially rejoin the ranks as a Rick owner. I've got an '88 4003 coming my way. I had a 4003 when I was a teenager. I think I paid $700 for it back then... I paid a good bit more for this one, but whatever, I'm glad to get one again. :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

mrboziffer wrote: I like the idea of a small speaker in a bigger cab. I love 8" speakers and I'd really like to hear one in a larger cab than the normal Champ cab.
Have you tried a (non-Rick) vintage Magnatone M10 with the factory Rolla 8" and a 3"tweeter? "Only" 38 watts, but a sweeter-sounding small speaker amp is hard to find...big cabinet, lush reverb (3-row long, cap-driven tank) and famous pitch-shifting genuine vibrato (not tremelo...).
m10.jpg
Now, back to your Rickenbacker doozies.
mrboziffer

Post by mrboziffer »

Good suggestion! I didn't know Magnatone made one in that configuration. I actually have a '58 Mag 213 and it is one of my favorites. I'll check out the M10. However, I don't have a Rick amp... :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”