Bass versus 6/12 string

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Bass versus 6/12 string

Post by ozover50 »

I've noticed that the 'bass boys' often come over to the 'other side' and comment but much less so do the guitarists (I'm not saying that bass players aren't guitarists!) go over to the 'dark side' ('use the Force, Luke!') and prognosticate.

Is it that we (6/12 stringers) have little or no appreciation of the complexities of and dangers associated with them 'big long-necked things' and those who dare to place them about their bodies or are we afraid to step on their turf?

Seems there are more bass players who like to dabble with thinner bits of wire than the reverse.

I'm a great believer in a 'well-rounded education'!!

What say you?

..... think I might go to bed now.........
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
wayang

Post by wayang »

Hey, there Howard...this is an intriguing topic, akin to the arguments over what kind of motorcycle gives one the pinnacle of road experiences...a good friend and seasoned rider/wrench turner once told me that if you're on two wheels you're in 'the club'. In a similar fashion, if you're doing two-handed manipulation of parallel vibrating wires, you're in the same sub-culture, with something to offer to everyone else within it. Everybody bring it on...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Good question. For me, I have no interest in the 6/12. My true love lies with the drums as it's my natural instrument, I just can't play them anymore because of physical reasons. So I'm a drummer who happens to play bass.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I started on bass then swiched to guitar. I still own and dabble with both. I would like to be proficient with both but I have so little time, so the guitar takes priority.
"The best things in life aren't things."
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

I started on guitar and switched to bass about 6 years ago. I used to play lead guitar for a few well-known local outfits, and was into crunching all manner of Gibsons, Explorers and Pauls being my favorites, thru Marshalls of course. Only after switching to bass was I really smitten by the Ric bug. I have played drums in bands as well. Always liked being able to make a record by myself Image
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Sorry to hear you can't play your first love, Sean.

When I was 16 I had a bad accident and completely severed the two tendons at the base of my left thumb. The result after emergency surgery was a lack of strength in that thumb and only about 50% feeling in that area. I then took up bass because it didn't require as much strength in the left thumb.

Here's the gory details:

It's not very clear in the pic but the scar pretty much follows the line.

Having come back to playing I'm finding that while I've still got limited feeling, the muscle at the base of the thumb is becoming much firmer, giving me more strength.

Only problem now is that it's become arthritic and short of cortozone injections to ease the pain, nothing (at least that's what my doctor says) will fix it.

Know any good witch doctors?

PS - I'm planning on purchasing a Ric bass this year (probably a 4003) so I'll be on both sides of the fence! Of course that will mean another amp but what the hell!
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I lurk on the bass forum and contribute occasionally.

I started off playing bass before guitar, and I still have an old mexi J-bass. I like the looks and sound of current 4003's but there's something about the neck that I would need a serious adjustment to overcome. Great instruments though.

My current musical obsession is not (yet) rick-related - I bought an "Irish" flute recently and have been going to local jam sessions, which is great low-key fun.

I predict I'll own a new bass within the next several years. *Probably* a rick, but not necessarily. Or it might be some uilleann pipes.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Howard, you neglected to mention the Ford truck imbedded in the back of your hand. How did that happen, if you don't mind talking about it?

Another friend from Oz has a Holden sprouting from his right eyebrow.

Is this a common body modification downunda?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Strangely, Howard, I had a similar accident at age 28, but it severed the nerve, artery and tendon on the inside of my left thumb. I still have no sensation along the inside of the thumb to the tip. But my strength is not compromised, although I do get occasional pain if I play too long. When the injury was fresh, I gave up playing the guitar for a year, then due to pain sorta fell away from performing until about '81. Then from '84 till this year, very little although I collected guitars and basses.

Today I was at a business partner's house--he performs a dozen times a month or so, and had the (opportunity?) to play his 6-string bass. YOW! It was like a plank with wires. Compared to my P-Bass--now long gone--it was insanely demanding to manipulate!

The reason I say "opportunity"? with a question mark is that it is a cheap Ibanez. But with a neck width of darn near 3" all the way up, what a stretcher!

I, too, am tempted to acquire a nice Rick bass, but Chris won't part with one of his 4005s.

Found a picture book yesterday in a local bookstore with a full-page picture of Entwistle playing his LS4005. INSANE!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Yeah, the pickup in the back of the hand can be a bit limiting, but I've been known put it out of my mind and rise above it. Sometimes I need to partake in some of the contents of the truck in order to stay on top of everything!!

Actually I just wanted you guys to know that we're not all beer-swilling yobbos with large roofs over our collective toolsheds. A drop of the good ol' JB tends to re-focus the mind and bring one back to reality (or in reality, put one on one's back!!).

I found the 4003 a real stretch Paul, but not because of the neck width - it's the half mile between the frets that I'd forgotten about!

I'm finding that sometimes I have to take a full day off from playing because it's just too painful to play anything other than your basic first fret chords. The 660 stays in its case during these times. Mind you, opening the cases and just looking at them has its attractions. I guess Paul that we're both lucky that our injuries didn't stop us cold.

Irish flute is real cool, John. I've bought a couple of tin whistles that I'm having fun with. Damned easier to play that yours, but!!!

Cheers (beer in hand this time!)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good points Howard. I found that getting a Rickenbacker Bass opened up a new world for me and before I could say McCartney had me needing to learn all about the instrument and its maintenance. Unless you have a bass, the instrument seems foreign and it is difficult to relate to. It is like getting a new car. Once you get one, that is all you see.

I have certainly learned that the popularity of Rickenbacker basses is incredible. Your question raised another for me, which I posted on the Bass topics section.

For me the 6/12 instrument would be far too heavy to play for too long. It has a romance and a ring to it though!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

"Irish flute is real cool, John. I've bought a couple of tin whistles that I'm having fun with. Damned easier to play that yours, but!!!"

You should check out some of the Irish sessions wherever you live - great time!

I also played highland bagpipes in my youth. I've been finding it harder to transition from whistle to flute than from practice chanter to a full set of pipes! It is fun though.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Peter, just for clarity's sake, I think the 6/12 Howard was referring to means 6-string or 12-string (guitar), as opposed to 4 or 5 string (bass).

He wasn't referring to a double neck.
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Paul. I am just back from the flu. At least I thought I was.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I'm sorry for being such a Guitar Nazi. I did read about your bout in another thread.

Hope you're feeling better--we need you, friend!
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “The Low End”