Rickenbacker 330/6 Nut Blanks?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johncooksie

Rickenbacker 330/6 Nut Blanks?

Post by johncooksie »

Does anyone here know where a fellow could acquire a pre-sized nut blank for a 330/6? I would like to re-slot the grooves on my 2005 330/6 to stop the high E string from slipping off the fretboard at the 2nd fret--I need to adjust the spacing so that the high E slot moves a hair north. I'd rather not get into the process of creating and properly sizing a blank myself, so I'm hoping that someone, somewhere, sells blanks--Bakelite/Graphtek or bone--that are pre-sized to fit Rics but don't have slots filed in yet.
maxwell

Re: Rickenbacker 330/6 Nut Blanks?

Post by maxwell »

I didn't have much to do today, so I looked around the Internet. No black unslotted nuts for Ricks that I could find. (I have no idea off-hand what the thickness of that nut is/should be.) What I did notice on the RIC Boutique is that the nut they sell for 6-strings looks (appears to be, to me) pretty tall -- may be that way to allow for customization; AND the slots seem pretty shallow (Part Number 03325). So, you carefully reduce the height of the nut at the top just until the slots are eliminated. Hopefully the overall height is still sufficient. Cut your slots, recontour the top of the nut and there you go. Just a thought....

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/NUT-ST ... p_566.html

No dimensions are provided....

If you look around (ebay, Reverb, etc.,) you may find this cheaper, probably way cheaper if you account for RIC's typically high postage fee.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rickenbacker 330/6 Nut Blanks?

Post by scott_s »

johncooksie wrote:Does anyone here know where a fellow could acquire a pre-sized nut blank for a 330/6? I would like to re-slot the grooves on my 2005 330/6 to stop the high E string from slipping off the fretboard at the 2nd fret--I need to adjust the spacing so that the high E slot moves a hair north. I'd rather not get into the process of creating and properly sizing a blank myself, so I'm hoping that someone, somewhere, sells blanks--Bakelite/Graphtek or bone--that are pre-sized to fit Rics but don't have slots filed in yet.
A couple ideas:

1) You could pop off your existing nut and simply re-glue it a smidgen further away from the high-E side of the board. You run the risk of creating the same problem for your low-E if you go too far, though.
2) With a new pre-slotted 330 nut, you could hold the high-E nut file at an angle to move the bottom of the slot inboard as you go. Once you've scooched it over a bit, you would then use the normal techniques to lower all of the slots to their final depth and remove the excess from the top of the nut.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”