12 String Tuners

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

silvergp05

12 String Tuners

Post by silvergp05 »

I just got my new 360-12C63 and the tuners are driving me nuts. The bass string tuners (Low E-A-D) are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the top or bass string of the pair while the treble string tuners are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the bottom string of the pair. Is this the factory norm ? I keep grabbing the wrong peg....I intend on fixing it when I re-string it.
teb
Advanced Member

Re: 12 String Tuners

Post by teb »

You get used to it as you get used to using the guitar and pretty soon it's not even something you need to think about. I'd give it a while.
silvergp05

Post by silvergp05 »

Are yours that way too?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

They all are like this. It is the way it is.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

You'll get used to it. It makes sense when you think about it. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

The trick that I implement is that I try not to figure it out, I just tune away and look at the tuners if I need to. Reason is that my acoustic guitar doesn't make sense either in that (don't ask me how) one side of the headstock is quite different than the 6 tuners on the other side. And then there is the difference between the Ric electric and the Guild acoustic, often tuned one right after the other. So I just "go with it".

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Welcome to one of the charming ideosyncracies of Rick 12-strings.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

This also drove me nuts for the first little while, but you really do get used to it pretty quickly. Give it some time. After a few weeks it'll become second nature to you.

I don't think changing the stringing would be a good idea -- it's done the way it's done so that the strings don't have to cross one another between the nut and the posts. If you strung the G-B-E pairs the same way as the E-A-D pairs each of the pairs would have to cross over which I suspect could lead to tuning problems.
silvergp05

Post by silvergp05 »

OK, I'll go with it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't assembled on a Friday nite when the technician was chomping at the bit to leave to go to the beach or something. If it's good enough for Roger McGuinn, it's good enough for me........
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

This tuner setup was one of Roger's mods to his first Rick 12-string:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/viewitem.php?id=44
360-12 1966 RM-owned  hdstk.jpg
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

silvergp05 wrote:I just got my new 360-12C63 and the tuners are driving me nuts. The bass string tuners (Low E-A-D) are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the top or bass string of the pair while the treble string tuners are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the bottom string of the pair. Is this the factory norm ? I keep grabbing the wrong peg....I intend on fixing it when I re-string it.
Well, if it's bugging you that much, just send it to me! I've always wanted a 360/12C63! :D
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

silvergp05 wrote:I just got my new 360-12C63 and the tuners are driving me nuts. The bass string tuners (Low E-A-D) are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the top or bass string of the pair while the treble string tuners are configured so that the back tuning pegs tune the bottom string of the pair. Is this the factory norm ? I keep grabbing the wrong peg....I intend on fixing it when I re-string it.
It fazed me as well the first time I tried tuning a Rick 12 (a v64, if memory serves)...almost snapped the octave G before I realized I was cranking up the wrong string! Didn't take long before it all became second nature, so fear not.
collin

Post by collin »

kiramdear wrote:You'll get used to it. It makes sense when you think about it. :)

+1

It simply goes in order of the strings. I can't imagine it any other way, actually...
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Just one of the idiosyncracies of the guitars. You'll get used to it in no time. :D
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

I just buy a new one when it goes outta tune.. :lol: Let someone else deal with it!

Have fun with the new RIC.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”