Ric 12 string tech in north NJ

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Axelorox

Ric 12 string tech in north NJ

Post by Axelorox »

Can anyone recommend a good guitar tech who has experience working with Rickenbacker 12 string guitars in northern New Jersey (I'm in Morris County)?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Ric 12 string tech in north NJ

Post by jdogric12 »

Take the drive down to Pick of the Ricks
Axelorox

Post by Axelorox »

I've heard great things about them but am hoping for something shorter than a 4 hour round trip drive.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Axelorox wrote:I've heard great things about them but am hoping for something shorter than a 4 hour round trip drive.
Four hour round trip? That's just two hours in your car one way. Set yourself up with some good tunes, put your Ric in the car, and just drive the two hours. What you are driving to - Pick Of The Ricks - would be well worth that two hour drive. Chris at Pick Of The Ricks is as good as it gets. Great guy. Will do everything right. Cares about you and your guitar.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Tony Marchatelli of Majestic Guitars in Caldwell knows Ricks. Highly recommended.
Axelorox

Post by Axelorox »

I ended up taking my 12 string to Acquire Guitars in Butler, NJ and he did an excellent job with it.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Axelorox wrote:I ended up taking my 12 string to Acquire Guitars in Butler, NJ and he did an excellent job with it.
What did he charge you to set up your Rick?

In my opinion, he's overpriced. He wanted $100 to set up a Les Paul, which I think is ridiculous.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

drumbob wrote:
Axelorox wrote:I ended up taking my 12 string to Acquire Guitars in Butler, NJ and he did an excellent job with it.
What did he charge you to set up your Rick?

In my opinion, he's overpriced. He wanted $100 to set up a Les Paul, which I think is ridiculous.

Especially considering it's so easy to do yourself. It can be done in the time it takes to hop in the car, drive somewhere and back.
Axelorox

Post by Axelorox »

It was around $150 which includes several followups as the setup shifts around, which is nice. That's the problem I had with other techs, the setup is great when you get it back but then a few days later the wood and parts may have continued to shift so it's out again.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yikes.

The only "shifting" a Rick has ever done on me is twice a year when the weather changes most abruptly. What model and year do you have?
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Axelorox wrote: It was around $150 which includes several followups as the setup shifts around, which is nice. That's the problem I had with other techs, the setup is great when you get it back but then a few days later the wood and parts may have continued to shift so it's out again.
$150 is exorbitant. I knew he was a thief. Tony Marchitelli charges $60 to set up a Rick 12 string and they play great.

I have never had to bring my 12 strings back to my tech for "shifts." It could be your guitar. I'm sorry to say that, but you may want to ask yourself why it's doing that.

I'm also sorry to say, but that guy ripped you off for that setup.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”