Ric 330, Vox AC30, and TS808

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Re: Ric 330, Vox AC30, and TS808

Post by chronictown »

Call me crazy, but if you zoom in on that picture, I'm pretty sure you can see the walnut center strip and wings on the headstock, appearing darker so you can tell it's not a solid black guitar. (Hey, we do this with pictures of the Beatles, right? :wink: )
I actually just noticed that strip as well when I posted last night...crazy. I think I'm about 25 years into the jetglo mistake as well :lol:
scotty

Post by scotty »

My TS808 has become a bit temperamental when turning on and off.Ill need to get it fixed so I bought a Electro Harmonix Soul Food pedal and really quite like it.
The TS808 with a Ac30 is delightful though.
Unicoil

Post by Unicoil »

I play a 360V64-6 through an AC15, as my #1/#1 pair. I use a Bad Monkey as a clean boost, and an EQ to tweak. A few others to get the right tone for particular songs. I think you are missing out by dismissing pedals. There is a lot of tone out there to find, and I'm always looking for what fits best, at volume, in a band context. The whole signal chain matters.
Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane »

RICs are great Guitars, people misjudge them too much.

As for “it’s the pedal you’re hearing”, IMHO not entirely. Set your rig with the TS, play a bit with your RIC and then plug a Fender and play the same thing. The difference is more than noticeable.

Especially if you drive the amp and use the TS to boost the gain, not just crank the TS and expect it to provide all the crunch.
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

My Les Paul and Ric 330 sound completely different if you run them through effects. Sure, effects can mask the non-modded sound of the guitar, but not completely, My original point is that I didn't realize the Ric fits with so many types of music, and there is a wide variety available to the player when it comes to the tones the 330 covers. So yeah, the guitar is versatile, and it's not a one-trick pony.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

Tommy wrote:Folks, you mentioned this Kevin Parker as though his name was John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Bono. Everybody on Earth knows the bands that come with those names, yet you assumed Kevin Parker leads us all to Tame Impala.

I have heard of Tame Impala. I knew that a Rickenbacker is used by a band member. But, sorry, Kevin Parker is not exactly a household name. You say, "Kevin Parker uses a Rickenbacker" and the response will be, "Who?"

And I do doubt that Mr. Parker is moving guitars in nice numbers for Rickenbacker. Tame Impala's music isn't exactly guitar-centric. I can't imagine many people hearing a song of theirs and running out to buy a Rickenbacker. Believe it, The Beatles, Byrds, Petty, REM did. Heck, even the band Let's Active was capable of selling Rics. That guitar-centric band utilized a blue 330. Guess what I bought myself? A blue 330 because I heard and saw Mitch Easter of Let's Active play one.

Guitar players - a lot of them - used to move Rickenbacker sales numbers. No way is that going on as it once did. That's obvious. And no way do I see any change in future years. Guitar-centric popular music may be gone for good.
It's great to hear there are other Mitch Easter/Let's Active fans out there!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Clifton wrote:
It's great to hear there are other Mitch Easter/Let's Active fans out there!
Influential guy and band. I wasn't a huge fan of the band, but I did buy some records of theirs and did see them live. Big influence on me was Mitch's blue 330. I had to have a 330 and it had to be blue:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”