Turquoise Ricks

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Turquoise Ricks

Post by drumbob »

Can someone tell me about Rickenbacker's use of the color turquoise? When were their turquoise guitars made? How may were made? Was the finish called turquoise or something else? I just want to find out what I can about this finish and its rarity.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Turquoise Ricks

Post by admin »

drumbob wrote:Can someone tell me about Rickenbacker's use of the color turquoise? When were their turquoise guitars made? How may were made? Was the finish called turquoise or something else? I just want to find out what I can about this finish and its rarity.
Bob, this is by no means and exhaustive history, but I will give it a go. Turquoise, and it is called turquoise by RIC, was introduced around 1954 and initially continued into the late 1950s. It did continue beyond this but it was sporadic. It was reintroduced around 1992 and continued to 2004. It is a captivating finish and I have no doubt that it will return at some point. It is too good a colour not to. Our database indicates that it represents less than one percent of the total palette. The official stats may vary. Thanks for your good question. I am sure others will chime in with additional interesting details at some point.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Thank you, Peter. Very helpful.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I absolutely love TUR and have had several - formerly a 330/12, a 360/12, a 650A and 650A VT, and currently another non-VT 650A, a 360/12V64, and the Jackson Browne replica as seen on RRF by our man Len M.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

The Turquoise group. The one on the far right is from 1956. The others are '90s and '00s through 2003 for the 381V69.
lo res TurqoiseGrp - Copy.JPG
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

libratune wrote:The Turquoise group. The one on the far right is from 1956. The others are '90s and '00s through 2003 for the 381V69.
lo res TurqoiseGrp - Copy.JPG
I just spent about an hour looking over your collection on your website and am very impressed. The Rickenbackers are incredible.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”