R vs Trapeze Tailpieces

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RicUpNorth

R vs Trapeze Tailpieces

Post by RicUpNorth »

I’m sure this has been covered and I’m failing at searching. Is there any functional difference between the two, or is it just aesthetic? I’m a Tom Petty nut so the 620-12 on the Damn the Torpedoes cover is what made me fall in love with Ric’s. I have a 620-6 and have always considered swapping to the trapeze because of that album cover....
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: R vs Trapeze Tailpieces

Post by jps »

RicUpNorth wrote:Is there any functional difference between the two, or is it just aesthetic?
It's both.

Hope this helps.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

jps wrote:
RicUpNorth wrote:Is there any functional difference between the two, or is it just aesthetic?
It's both.

Hope this helps.
Any elaboration on functional differences? Visual part is easy to see! Thanks.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Trapeze is easier to string and doesn't explode ! :wink:
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

It also might be slightly easier to adjust the bridge intonation, since I think the trapeze is a teeny bit shorter than the R.
collin

Post by collin »

I don't believe that the length of string between the bridge and the tailpiece has any effect on setting the intonation (which corresponds only between the length of string from the saddle to the nut).
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:I don't believe that the length of string between the bridge and the tailpiece has any effect on setting the intonation (which corresponds only between the length of string from the saddle to the nut).
I think Clifton is referring to having a bit more space for a screwdriver.
collin

Post by collin »

jps wrote:
collin wrote:I don't believe that the length of string between the bridge and the tailpiece has any effect on setting the intonation (which corresponds only between the length of string from the saddle to the nut).
Ah, of course. In that case, yes!

Always a bear to access the screw, with an R tailpiece.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

jps wrote:

Yes, exactly what I was referring to!
Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane »

Speaking of which, I just ordered a R to Trapeze conversion kit, the tailpiece and bracket set with the correct screw distances so I don't have to drill any new holes.

Nothing wrong with my R tailpiece, it's a 6-string guitar, but after reading so many stories I guess it won't be bad to have a spare stainless steel tailpiece.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

Sérgio wrote:Speaking of which, I just ordered a R to Trapeze conversion kit, the tailpiece and bracket set with the correct screw distances so I don't have to drill any new holes.

Nothing wrong with my R tailpiece, it's a 6-string guitar, but after reading so many stories I guess it won't be bad to have a spare stainless steel tailpiece.
Did you change it out? I'm curious to hear what you think about it.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Clifton wrote:
Sérgio wrote:Speaking of which, I just ordered a R to Trapeze conversion kit, the tailpiece and bracket set with the correct screw distances so I don't have to drill any new holes.

Did you change it out? I'm curious to hear what you think about it.
I’d love to hear also!
jsegovia

Post by jsegovia »

I'm a Beatle fanatic - I've been one since the mid-70s. I've been wanting a Rickenbacker 12 string ever since - although I've been playing guitar seriously since that time I never owned one until this year. When I first noticed that George Harrison had two different Rick 12 strings I decided I liked the look of the first but I really wanted that R tailpiece, so my plan was to someday find a vintage 360/12 like Harrison's (I didn't realize they were so rare!) but replace the tailpiece with the R. Since then I've come to appreciate the clean look of the trapeze tailpiece, especially because of Harrison's original 360/12 and because of Mike Campbell's 620/12 as well. The trapeze tailpiece on my 360/12c63 isn't going anywhere! :)

Jesse

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”