Rickysounds wide & close nut experience?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Scarry67

Rickysounds wide & close nut experience?

Post by Scarry67 »

Anyone fitted one of these? My 2000 360/12 is predictably fiddly for open chords and this looks interesting even if it does appear to put the E strings very near the edge of the fretboard... I’m guessing it may need a tech to set it up correctly height-wise.
JM82

Re: Rickysounds wide & close nut experience?

Post by JM82 »

I fitted one to my recently purchased 2001 330/12. Made a big improvement to the playability much more comfortable and easier to play in the open positions. As you may have read it spaces the pairs closer together and then spreads the courses out across the fret board. The outer most strings are close to the edge and there’s a risk of push them off the edge but what I found was that I adapted pretty quickly to it and it then only really becomes a problem when bending, which most people don’t do on a 12 string. Fitting wise I didn’t do anything to it, just put it in place and it worked fine. I haven’t even glued it in place the string tension holds it in place. I may glue next time the strings come off but I’m using TI flats so don’t expect to change them soon.
Scarry67

Post by Scarry67 »

That’s encouraging. How did you get the old nut out? Gentle tapping? So was the Rickysounds one same measurement as original?
JM82

Post by JM82 »

Yes I just wrapped the handle of a screwdriver in a cloth (to stop anything getting scratched) and put it against the nut and tapped it gently until it came off. From what I can see the Ricky sounds nut is the exact same size as the original.
Scarry67

Post by Scarry67 »

Thanks. I think this will definitely be my next project.
thark

Post by thark »

I did this on my 370/12 and it made a huge difference in the playability of the instrument. However, I did find that the first fret string height was really high (like 50 thousandths) so I sanded it down to a more reasonable height (I usually aim for about 20 thousandths). Also I found that I had to glue the nut with a couple of small drops of CA glue to hold it in place while stringing the guitar. Otherwise, winding the strings tended to move the nut. The CA glue works great. It holds tight but will pop off with a light tap. Oh, and I remove the nut using a small wooden block and a small hammer. A light tap should remove the nut ... unless someone has epoxy'd it in. :(

Cheers,

Keith
Scarry67

Post by Scarry67 »

Got the old nut out easily once brass one arrived but the new RickySounds one is too high and needs the string grooves widening for 10-42 strings. Disappointing but they do warn you that it may need work. I’ll contact luthier I know once lockdown here is over.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

This is the first I have heard of this company and product, but it sounds like a wonderful idea. Can anyone comment on whether the brass replacement nut is better than the "nylatron" one?
Scarry67

Post by Scarry67 »

I was advised that the brass one is a bit brighter but more tricky to file/work on. It does look nice though.
Scarry67

Post by Scarry67 »

Quick update: had to pay a trusted luthier £20 to cut it just right but what a difference! Highly recommended if you want much easier chording in open positions. Brass seems to have made it a tad brighter. Rik reborn.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Good to know. I have heard of luthiers cutting nuts with wider spacing for easier playing but I am surprised it has taken this long for a company to offer a nearly "ready to run" option for simple nut replacements.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Scarry67 wrote:Quick update: had to pay a trusted luthier £20 to cut it just right but what a difference! Highly recommended if you want much easier chording in open positions. Brass seems to have made it a tad brighter. Rik reborn.
If you think about it, the makers of replacement nuts have no way of knowing how thick your particular fretboard is, and how tall your first fret is, so the best course of action for a production part is to leave any pre-cut slots on the tall side and leave the final adjustment to the installer. Glad yours is doing the job now. :)
Riffbacker66

Post by Riffbacker66 »

Hi all received my Rickysounds wide and close nut in nylatron this morning, now fitted, the treble side was spot on the bass side needed 0.5mm shaving off. A quick clean up of the finger board end of old glue and it slipped in a treat didn't even have to remove the nameplate. WOW what a difference allot easier to play and no muted strings highly recommend.
Regards Dave.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”