Truss rod cover screws

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

thark

Re: Truss rod cover screws

Post by thark »

LOL! @Tommy, I put them away for safe keeping in a small container just like @Espidog said. It was *really* safe because I couldn't find it. However ... I did find it last night!! Yay.

Keith
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:BLUF: RIC truss cover screws are everyone else's pickguard screws:

No, they are not. The actual threaded shaft, itself, may be the same, but the shape of the head is totally different, not to mention the bevel they require in the plastic.

The closest of that lot seems to be the tuning key mount screws, but even those have heads that are shaped differently from the RIC ones.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

thark wrote:LOL! @Tommy, I put them away for safe keeping in a small container just like @Espidog said. It was *really* safe because I couldn't find it. However ... I did find it last night!! Yay.

Keith
WHEW! Glad to hear it, Keith.

Maybe we could start using those silly little screws to screen for fake Rickenbackers, since they only seem to exist on real ones! :lol:
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

jps wrote:
maxwell wrote:BLUF: RIC truss cover screws are everyone else's pickguard screws:

No, they are not. The actual threaded shaft, itself, may be the same, but the shape of the head is totally different, not to mention the bevel they require in the plastic.

The closest of that lot seems to be the tuning key mount screws, but even those have heads that are shaped differently from the RIC ones.
(ADDENDUM / POSTSCRIPT IN THE MIDDLE: OK, reconsidering my Blunt BLUF, I see your point.... I should have added some finesse.)

True, but it was apparent that no one but me (note my reference to the UK supplier) seemed to be concerned with the head type — certainly these won’t be found in a hardware store. My references to pickguard screws were to have something that would simply hold the cover in place. That said, I, for one, would want the original type (again, my ref. to the only RIC screws I could find), and if I had lost mine, my replacements would be winging their way across the Atlantic right now.

Anyway, I am curious about what specific guitar these screws are on. Again, I checked a couple of my Ricks and they have the slotted pan head type. I’m sure the guitars are authentic.
collin

Post by collin »

A.) Nobody has mentioned yet that the TRC screws are entirely different for pre-1980s instruments. The earlier has a slotted round head screw and this was replaced by the phillips panhead used today. I'm assuming we're referring to the modern type screws in this thread, but it's worth pointing this out.

B.) Do NOT use countersunk pickguard screws to screw your TRC in place. Tighten too much, and you will crack a piece right off the TRC. Needs to have a flat head (not countersunk).
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

collin wrote:A.)... The earlier has a slotted round head screw and this was replaced by the phillips panhead used today.
OK, that and my finally pulling out my 330 (mfr'd. 2007) to have a confirmation look cleared that up ---> cheese head phillips (tall head; could be mistaken for Fillister head).

All is well in my RIC World.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

collin wrote: B.) Do NOT use countersunk pickguard screws to screw your TRC in place. Tighten too much, and you will crack a piece right off the TRC. Needs to have a flat head (not countersunk).
Great reminder! I was just looking around, and was visually reminded of your warning. Yes, indeed, the typical pickguard screw will certainly mess things up on a non-countersunk TRC. Here's an example of the style to AVOID on Rick TRCs:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... d-springs/

I guess most, if not all, pickguard screws have that countersunk feature. Whew! I'm glad the OP did not try these out!

This search and potential pitfalls further reinforces my belief that you should just bite the (financial) bullet and purchase the genuine RIC item. (Winfield doesn't sell screws; the only third party mfr. I'd trust.)

Thanks, collin.

PS - Putting this to bed, with a visual image...
Attachments
TRC Screws
TRC Screws
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I suddenly woke up this morning at 4:30, and what was on my mind were tuning machine mounting screws; I have swapped out tuners before. (I thought someone mentioned these already, but I can't find the post....) I Googled these (and "screws, tuner"; "tuner screws", etc.) and got so many good results. I don't know why searching for #3 x 3/8 in. sheet metal screws wouldn't give me anything, and simply looking for "tuner screws" gave me so many options. Not surprisingly, I did not see any RIC style screws with the big head. There are a lot of these tuner screws for sale, so here are just two representative examples of screws made by Fender (trustworthy, I think) -- one with a slotted head, and the other with a Phillips head:

https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... ct_id=4072

https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/001-1 ... urer_id=11

The official Fender item numbers are provided, so you could search by those and choose the seller of your choice.

These do appear to be pretty much the same as these, mentioned previously:
scoobster28 wrote:Assuming that they are #3 screws and 3/8" long, McMaster Carr has them:
https://www.mcmaster.com/99461A825/

At $13 for 50 screws (plus shipping... usually at least $8), you could lose a lot before you need to buy more!

A lot of these tuner screws are also made as size #2; you have read the specs.

I wish I could go back and delete everything I posted prior to this.... (sorry, guys)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”