Bound F-hole on a guitar?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Bound F-hole on a guitar?

Post by scoobster28 »

I seem to recall seeing a picture of a Rickenbacker guitar (330 I think, or perhaps a Rose Morris model) with an F-hole that had binding in it. Does anyone else remember this? It had to be a real bugger to do!
Thanks.
collin

Re: Bound F-hole on a guitar?

Post by collin »

You might be referring to a '64 Rose Morris 1993 (well, technically it was a 330S/12) that I owned years ago.

The previous owner modified it by gluing binding inside the soundhole. Luckily it was just the super thin binding used on fretboards in the 60s, so it peeled out of the sound hole with no real evidence that it had ever been there. I wasn't feeling the soundhole binding, despite loving a lot of the other modifications (inlays, headstock binding, refin etc.).

See photo #5 on it's Registry entry:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thanks, but I don't believe that was what I had seen in the past.
collin

Post by collin »

Interesting, well I don't recall seeing a bound F-hole on any production Rickenbacker. Maybe one of the factory one-offs in the last 10 years? I haven't followed all of them closely.

There have certainly been customized guitars by folks like Larry Davis and Paul Wilcyzinski which had bound f-holes, in recent years. Perhaps it was one of those?
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Sadly, if my memory was better I wouldn't have had need for this thread! :?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

scoobster28 wrote:Sadly, if my memory was better I wouldn't have had need for this thread! :?
It gets worse. Just yesterday (for a few moments) I couldn't remember how to play John's little lead break on "Get Back." Muscle memory was gone. My fingers did not got to the correct strings or frets. This bothers me.

I play songs in which there are no youtube tutorials, tabs, or sheet music. Back in the day I had to figure out songs by unknown UK indie bands like The Chameleons, New Model Army, The Bodines, The Fall.... I figured out how to play hundreds of little known songs that I love. There is no written record of how to play these songs. The only record is in my memory. If that starts to fade, man, will I be sunk. Never to be able to play many of those songs again. And those songs defined who I am as a musician and lover of music.

When our memory goes, all that we are goes, too. Sad thought...especially for musicians.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You guys are way too young to be having memory problems! :lol:
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

f hole 1.jpg
f hole 1.jpg

pictures of the f hole on my 1967 365 export version in fireglo...taken from slightly from different angles
Attachments
f hole 2.jpg
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Well, here is a recent thread about a RM3261 with a bound F-hole, though the originality is being questioned:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=413522

I don't believe that is what I am thinking of though.
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

I could be remembering completely incorrectly, but I seem to recall that there is a very early new style Rose Morris 360 with a bound F hole somewhere in the Register. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
EDIT: Just found it, there is a fireglo June of 1964 365 with what looks to be a factory bound f hole. Anyone know anything more about this guitar's story? http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... p?id=49976
collin

Post by collin »

Marn99 wrote:I could be remembering completely incorrectly, but I seem to recall that there is a very early new style Rose Morris 360 with a bound F hole somewhere in the Register. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
EDIT: Just found it, there is a fireglo June of 1964 365 with what looks to be a factory bound f hole. Anyone know anything more about this guitar's story? http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... p?id=49976
Yep, it's a one-off. It was most recently at California Guitar and Amp here in LA. Cool guitar.

I believe it was a factory test, or show guitar. In June 1964, the factory was in full-swing production of Rose Morris guitars while also in pre-production for the "New Style" 360s so it makes sense that they tested out that body with the F-hole then in heavy use, and apparently opted to keep the cat's eye sound hole.

If you notice, the lower horn on that guitar is a slightly different shape (thinner) than the later production New Style 360 body.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”