330 Three way switch issue.

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Edge

330 Three way switch issue.

Post by Edge »

Hello all

I am in the UK.I bought a Ricky 330, 2 and half years ago. The guitar is guaranteed for a full 3 years from Rosetti UK.

The 3 way switch is not moving as it should. The dealer and Rosetti have agreed that the switch needs replacement.

I took the guitar back to the dealer on 6th October. I contacted them a few weeks ago to be told that they are awaiting the delivery of a replacement switch from Rosetti.

Is this normal? Any ideas of what I should do if anything? It is now over 2 months since the issue was signalled to the dealer.

Thanks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 330 Three way switch issue.

Post by jps »

There is (probably) no need to replace the switch. With use the leaves that make contact with the paddle can get bent a bit causing what you describe. If you are mechanically adept at all and have long-nose pliers, you can re-bend the metal tangs easily and get the switch working properly once again. I am surprised it only took 2 1/2 year for your to exhibit this. They can go for many years before needing adjustment.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

jps wrote:...I am surprised it only took 2 1/2 year for your to exhibit this. They can go for many years before needing adjustment.
Really? Mine went after just a year.

Whatever switches Ric uses, they are not very good. I have three Rickenbackers....those pickup selector switches went on two of them. And it didn't take "many years" for that to happen. Two years is the limit on those things. Twelve electric guitars I own and it is only the Ric guitars that give me grief when it comes to pickup selector switches. Two out of three switches went. I dare not touch the third.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I guess Switchcraft (if that is still what is being used) don't make 'em like they used to. The switches on the two '73 4001s and the '67 4005WB were the originals and still worked okay the last time I saw them.
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

I appreciate this info! The same switch on my 660/12 has gone south and hopefully, you’ve given me the way to fix it.
Bless y’all!
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

My 08 620 has had issues with the selector for years. I don’t play out enough, and a little juggling usually gets it working, so I haven’t taken the time to replace it yet.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

jps wrote:I guess Switchcraft (if that is still what is being used) don't make 'em like they used to. The switches on the two '73 4001s and the '67 4005WB were the originals and still worked okay the last time I saw them.
Oddly enough, they're being made a little better than they used to be made. I always check these when I get an order in to make sure they stay in each position without flipping back while applying a little pressure. If they flip back too easily, then I adjust them. The current switches actually need less of this adjustment than the older ones that were cad plated and stamped with the Switchcraft logo. The older ones needed at least a little adjustment most of the time.
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

Funny enough, I fixed my 3 way this morning. It would barely hold neck/bridge positions. A little bending helped but cleaning the tabs and the switch button itself helped alot more. When you bend the tabs, you want the black (white in this one) button to sit square on them.
Attachments
PSX_20201216_124005.jpg
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Yes, the switch should last much longer, and may only need adjustment as set forth above. They last a long, long time. I have played '50's Gibson instruments that still have the original switches, and I played a late-50's Capri that still had its original switch. Something is not quite right. It could be a stray wood splinter or something else causing issues.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”