Please tell me about your Model 660 - 6 string

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Please tell me about your Model 660 - 6 string

Post by admin »

I would be interested to hear from those who own a six-string Model 660 with regard to tone and playability. I love my model 350 but am wondering if I might get a brighter and snappier sound with the 660? Your take?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Please tell me about your Model 660 - 6 string

Post by sloop_john_b »

Peter, I personally found the 660 nut width too wide for comfort. That wide nut works well on the 12-string version, but felt odd on the 6-string version - think classical guitar.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I can't recall what mine was like tone-wise as it was only used at home for practice, occasionally (I had mine in the late '00s, got it in 2007). As to nut width, I had my luthier make a new nut to narrow the string spacing a bit, making it a perfect player after that.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

I had both a 6 and 12 string 660 at one point, and ended up selling them both.
The small body and large neck just felt imbalanced to me; I'm 6'1" and 200+ and I'm most comfortable with the 300 series.
The 660's have the "toaster" sound that can't be beat, but the feel was the thing for me; I don't think that you would find
much of a difference in the sound compared to your 350.
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

I have both a 350v63 and 660 and I’d hafta say that you’re right about the snappier nature of the solid body.
My 350 has the mod of the fifth knob being a push/pull where if it’s pushed in, it removes the middle pickup completely from the circuit.
That gave me the ability to be able to A/B the two guitars with just bridge and neck toasters.
I dunno if this’ll make sense, but the 660 just sounds like the pickups are on a “harder” body than on the 350.
More forward high end and I’d also say I get the impression of the strings being “livelier”. But I don’t want to give the impression of any excessive brightness. It’s just that in my case, the very top end is accentuated more with the 660.
Sorry to talk in such abstractions. Best I can come up with.
I’ll sum up by saying that if you like your 350, you’d also enjoy have a 660 along with it because you get to enjoy both the differences and the similarities.

I’m also personally quite fond of the 660’s neck width in both 6- and 12-string clothes.
I also have a 350/12v63 and my 660/12’s neck is way easier to play for me, personally.
And just like the sonic differences between the 6-strings, the same respective characteristics are consistent between the 12’s, not that you asked. Haha
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

IIRC you have the Liverpool 24-fret hi-gain 350, so there will be a lot of differences between that and a 660. Even if "snappy" doesn't make the final cut, you'll still notice a big difference. I had a 660/6 for a few days and it was neat but it wasn't magic enough to unseat any of the resident favorites. And like JB says, the wide neck is a little goofy on a 6er if you're used to the normal Rick spacing. Always switching back and forth would drive me nuts.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Most of my acoustic guitars have nut widths of either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" and they feel great to me, but they also have thinner necks (and two of them are also asymmetrical in neck profile) so perhaps it was the thicker neck on my 660 that made the difference in playing comfort (necks in the '00s were considerably thicker than they are these days or from earlier than those years).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the factors that you considered and your comparison with the Model 350 that I have.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”