Odd looking F hole on a ‘69 (?) Rose Morris

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Wizz

Odd looking F hole on a ‘69 (?) Rose Morris

Post by Wizz »

Seen this Rick on Reverb and I’d thought it might be worth discussing here. As stated in the title it’s listed as a 1969 Rose Morris export model but I’ve never seen one with a date code later than 67, That’s the first thing.... the second thing is does the placement of that F hole look odd to anyone else? Like it’s angled too close to the pickups ? I know the angle changed on some of the 325/1996 models but when comparing it to all the 1993, 1997, 1998 models I can find it looks off. What’s everyone take on this ? Am I crazy to speculate that this isn’t a Rose Morris guitar at all and just a 335 that someone has gone through a ton of trouble to modify the top of?

https://reverb.com/ca/item/35038581-ric ... 69-fireglo
Attachments
713390EF-A23E-4257-ACD6-2EFCC57CBCF3.jpeg
collin

Re: Odd looking F hole on a ‘69 (?) Rose Morris

Post by collin »

It’s not a modified 335.

Look through the RRF registry for references. Around 1967, the template for the F-hole position changed at the factory and the soundhole moved to that higher spot.

Most of these were exported to Italy by Rose Morris, for whatever reason. It’s odd to see a ‘69, but that would be among the very last RM models ever made and exported. Sadly Rose Morris Ltd was selling “Shaftesbury” Rick copies later that year.

I prefer the earlier soundhole position, but that’s just personal preference. These have their place in RM history.
Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Thanks Collin! That’s great info. I’d have to agree with your preference for the earlier ones. Someday I’ll own one....someday.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

The f hole is not that different than on my 1967 365

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”