The 360 new style vs 360 old style, why the change?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Marn99

The 360 new style vs 360 old style, why the change?

Post by Marn99 »

Does anyone know the history behind why Rickenbacker adopted the rounded top, new style 360? This may be heresy here, but I find the 360 OS much, much more attractive than the 360 NS. I've played a 360 NS from the 70s or 80s (I don't remember exactly) that showed up in my local guitar store a few years back, and while it was undoubtedly ergonomic, I kept getting drawn back to the sharp lines and points of the 325, 330, and 360 OS. Was the reason ergonomics?
collin

Re: The 360 new style vs 360 old style, why the change?

Post by collin »

NEW = marketing.

By the time that George Harrison got his mitts on a 360/12, that sharp body shape was already 3-4 years old, just as long as the Capri before it had been around.

I think Rickenbacker was simply pushing something new on the public during its newfound post-Beatles fame. Ironically, the Brits were having none of this as Rose Morris demanded the old style double bound body.

I've always been surprised that more OS style guitars weren't sold in the 60s. Even as a custom order, you'd think more people would request a "George Harrison" guitar after watching HDN. Not only that - the vast majority of OS models sold were six string and not 12s.

I love both body styles, it's hard to pick at this point.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: The 360 new style vs 360 old style, why the change?

Post by scott_s »

Rounded body edges are more comfortable. Rickenbacker was obviously taking note of the "comfort contoured" guitars coming out of nearby Fullerton...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”