Stringing up Accent tailpiece

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Stringing up Accent tailpiece

Post by scoobster28 »

I have never had to change the strings on my 336LS guitar before (331 lightshow + VB... my nomenclature) but recently it was time. No matter what I did, as soon as I got one string in tune another would go slightly out of tune. Back and forth, even when they were all on I couldn't get it perfect. It might need a set-up (it has been 5 years since) but I also should know the proper way to string one up.

It is maddening enough to want to remove it completely, but lots of people can do it easily enough (including, I assume, John Lennon himself) so there must be a trick.

Please... share it with me! Thanks.
collin

Re: Stringing up Accent tailpiece

Post by collin »

Hmm... with an Accent, the strings are basically mounted to a giant spring. So it takes some settling for everything to be tensioned and the strings stretched.

I string all six (usually starting with the high and low E, then slide in the middle strings), stretching each one at the nut and saddle (especially the wound strings), then tune each one to pitch. Then re-tune the whole guitar and it's usually solid at that point.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:Hmm... with an Accent, the strings are basically mounted to a giant spring. So it takes some settling for everything to be tensioned and the strings stretched.

I string all six (usually starting with the high and low E, then slide in the middle strings), stretching each one at the nut and saddle (especially the wound strings), then tune each one to pitch. Then re-tune the whole guitar and it's usually solid at that point.
^this

and play the hell out of it, to expedite the "house settling" so to speak.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thanks!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”