If Rickenbacker Didn't Exist

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: If Rickenbacker Didn't Exist

Post by Tommy »

drumbob wrote:OP, why do you waste your time and ours with "what if" scenarios?
So you feel "what if" scenarios are a waste of time. Just imagine if these folks thought like you about what if scenarios:

- Imagine if Cleisthenes never said, "What if we allow the citizens to vote."
- Imagine if Columbus never said, "What if I travel west instead of east?"
- Imagine if Ernest Rutherford never said, "What if I try to split the atom."
- Imagine if John Lennon never said, "What if I buy a guitar and try to learn how to play it."

Thank God not all people think like you. What if scenarios are what move our species forward. Perhaps it is not too late for you to discover that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Play nice, guys. If you don't like something, just keep scrolling. Lots of other threads here to enjoy.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jdogric12 wrote:Play nice, guys. If you don't like something, just keep scrolling. Lots of other threads here to enjoy.
+1

And besides, it's only a waste of time if one reads it AND then logs in to comment ... hey, wait a minute! :shock: :? :lol: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Tommy wrote:Alternative universe question.

If Rickenbacker guitars did not exist:

1) would The Beatles have been as big as they were ... YES!

2) would you have found/bought other guitars that act as a Ric substitute ... NO! How could one have a substitute for a guitar that didn't exist?

3) for those who own a Ric 12 string, if no Ric would you have bought another company's 12 string guitar? ... NO!
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

If Rickenbacker didn't exist, it would be kind of a drag.

Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane »

[quote="Tommy"]

1) would The Beatles have been as big as they were (remember, George's 12 string was instrumental (see what I did there) to the big breakout for the band, the HARD DAY'S NIGHT film).

Yes, they would have. They'd probably have played more Gretsch and maybe used those Strats that Mal Evans bought them in London a bit more, and Lennon would end up playing that stripped Gibson Les Paul Jr in MYC anyway.

2) would you have found/bought other guitars that act as a Ric substitute, or would you just have a hole in your collection where the non-existent Ric would have fit

I'd probably have something else (again, probably a Gretsch or a Hagstrom). I'm mostly a Fender player but I need something unorthodox and non-cliché to go with mine.

3) for those who own a Ric 12 string, if no Ric would you have bought another company's 12 string guitar?

Strictly a sixgunner here. Next question.

Post by 4000 »

Tommy wrote:Alternative universe question.

1) would The Beatles have been as big as they were

For grins, let's add this bit of trivia (which most readers of Rick-trivia-books will know already) and move the 'what-if' topic further upstream.

This article (in Dutch) sums it all up nicely... if curious paste the txt into your fav translating machine

https://www.volkskrant.nl/cultuur-media ... ~bf773407/

.... but long story short, if a certain Toots Thielemans from Belgium (mostly known for his harmonica playing) hadn't played a Rickenbacker (Capri 325),
(as it seems) Lennon wouldn't have hunted for a Rick while in Hamburg.

Now of course the big question ;-) ..., who influenced Thielemans to want a Rickenbacker ... and so on :-)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

4000 wrote: Now of course the big question ;-) ..., who influenced Thielemans to want a Rickenbacker ... and so on :-)
Yes! This is interesting to think about. I wonder if anyone is alive that would know?

*searches*

Dang, Toots only left us 5 years ago... what a missed opportunity :(
gretschbigsby

Post by gretschbigsby »

We'd all have Telecasters (if you don't already).
Ratwax

Post by Ratwax »

I'm reminded of a cartoon in the Melvyn Hiscock book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" with some 1950's guys in band practicing. 2 x electric guitarists, 1 x drummer and a guy at the back leaning on the amps filing his nails casually. One guitarist remarks (something like); "I wish Leo Fender would hurry up and invent the P-Bass so Larry would have something to do".

Cheers,
Andrew

1989 620/12,
2003 4003
1986 330
1991 381 V69
1998 650 Dakota
Plus various Squiers and stuff
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Wow, hadn't paid attention to this thread in awhile.
1) Sergio, glad to hear you're into hagstroms, got any faves? My first good bass was a Hagstrom 1, sorry I traded it off, it was a really good bass. I just missed out on a Jimmy a few years ago, kicking myself. I had a piecemeal hagstrom II with the fender style headstock that I gave to my niece.
2) I want to know about Toots and his Ric as well!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
JANGLE

Post by JANGLE »

drumbob wrote:OP, why do you waste your time and ours with "what if" scenarios?
You miserable..................
Ash83

Post by Ash83 »

Wizz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 am 1) I definitely think the Beatles would have been just as big, the Rick-12 was a prolific sound for the 1960’s but George only really used his 12 strings on record for about 2 years. Of the 200+ songs they recorded I’d wager the Rick 12 is on less than 10% of their output.

2) man, I’d have a lot of holes to fill, I love a lot of other British Invasion type gear so if my Ric’s were wiped from existence I’d probably like to have a Vox teardrop as a sub for my 325, a Vox phantom XII or maybe a Epiphone Riviera-12 to sub as my 330-12 and as a replacement to my main guitar which is a 335 I guess I probably would have gravitated towards a Gretsch or Epiphone.

3) If they were as comfortable as the Ric sure, the only other 12’s that I’ve really been stoked on were the Fenders, the Coronado especially because of its semi hollow body construction but their solid body was also a nice one to play. Basically every other 12 I’ve ever picked up has seemed like a chore to play.
The Coronado was completely hollow I’ve had 2 67’s in cherry
Ash83

Post by Ash83 »

I think if Rickenbacker didn’t exist we’d all be on a Gretsch forum

I’ve got a Harrison Duo Jet with dynosonics and that sounds great if your in the market for a Gretsch that would be highly recommended.

George Harrison’s most famous guitar IMO is his Country Gentlemen and George had more guitars than most.
Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane »

1- yes they would.

2- I'd probably own something else.

3- I don't like 12 stringers.

As for the Beatles/Rickenbacker relationship, I never saw it as a big deal, really. IMHO John, George and Paul played Rickenbacker instruments just as they'd have played Fenders or Gibsons instead, like the Rolling Stones did. Rickenbackers are very particular guitars that many people like, otherwise the company wouldn't be still standing proud as it is. Truly, I think the statement that RIC is RIC because of the Beatles is highly overrating.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”