Advice on best models + modification question

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

panpanini

Advice on best models + modification question

Post by panpanini »

Hi there,

I was hoping some of you truly knowledgeable Ricmen & Ricwomen could help me with a huge decision.

I’m finally in a position to buy my fist Ric guitar and have 4 options, all 6 string, all from 2001 – 2007 approx.
620 or
660 or
325V59 or
350V63

I am looking for advice on which guitar would fit my needs best, although ANY Ric has always been my dream guitar, I must be practical.
My band is primarily Hard Rock, with most of our songs using overdrive and High Gain distortion sounds. (Manic Street Preachers/Muse at their heaviest, Metallica at their lightest)

However, I also play in a Tom Petty Tribute band, so I’m trying to strike a balance between having a lovely clean, classic Ric jangle option & a ‘heavy’ sound option on the same guitar.

So, with that in mind: Which Ric of the four models I mentioned would be the most versatile and suitable for both my projects?

(FYI, I know TP uses 12 string Ric's as much as 6 strings & I already have a 12 string guitar for those purposes)

I also have a question/idea for our modding friends in the community.

Has anyone ever attempted OR thought of the following modification on a 3 pickup Ric:
Neck=Vintage Toaster, Middle=High Gain, Bridge=Humbucker

If this has been attempted, I’d love to see/hear the results.
If not, does anyone think it could work or is it a very unbalanced idea?

Many thanks for reading!
collin

Re: Advice on best models + modification question

Post by collin »

The pickups factor in a whole lot less than you think.

With a solidbody Rickenbacker, it's always going to sound like a Rick. The volume settings and amplifier will have a bigger impact than the difference between Hi Gain/Toaster/HB1.

Personally I would skip the mismatched pickups idea and just put Hi Gains in all three spots. They're probably the most versatile of the three, they can clean up with plenty of jangle, or handle overdrive very well.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I've played all of those a bunch. I think the 620 is definitely the one for you, unless you really can't deal with the relatively small Rick neck (compared to other makes), in which case the 660 would be better. They will have better sustain than the semi-hollows.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

jdogric12 wrote:I've played all of those a bunch. I think the 620 is definitely the one for you, unless you really can't deal with the relatively small Rick neck (compared to other makes), in which case the 660 would be better. They will have better sustain than the semi-hollows.
That is word by word what I was going to suggest
panpanini

Post by panpanini »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Just at it relates to collin's point about the lack of dramatic difference in Pickups.

Am I better served getting a 620 over a 660 due to High Gain vs Vintage Toasters?
I have always thought the 660 is a more revered model, and would be perfect for Tom Petty stuff, but would it have the capability for very hard rock?

Cheers.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I agree with the suggestions for the 620. A 660 would be fine too. I don't think the pickups (toaster vs hi gain) will make that much of a difference, especially with a cranked amp and a bunch of effects.

As for your mod question on a 3 pickup model, I've done just what you asked about on my 340/12. Toaster in the neck, hi gain in the middle, humbucker in the bridge. It works really well. No noticeable difference when neck & middle are together, but the humbucker in the bridge is nice to have. I'll try to make a recording.
panpanini

Post by panpanini »

@blueflamerick

That would be incredible if you could post a demo, can I bother you for a picture too?

I knew someone, somewhere must have tried this.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

To chime in my 2 cents, ever since I owned a 650C I liked the HB1s more than the Higains, and in my humble opinjon they;re the most versatile, hence I put a couple in my 360 with push pull pots. Even if the difference is not epic, there is a difference. If to choose between a 620 and a 660 with money no issue I would go for the 620 as my hands are rather small. The 660 does have the wider neck and overdriven toasters are nicer than higains imo.

I recently bought a Partsbacker "370" (a 360 with added middle P/U) wired like a Strat with three equal higains and must say it's interesting but the higains will get replaced as soon as I have the time.
The toaster/higain/hb1 thing I would love to hear too, must keep that in mind when I redo the "370"
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
panpanini

Post by panpanini »

@electrofaro

That's very interesting regarding the 650C HB's

I know Mike Campbell had them put a HB in the bridge of his 325/350hybrid custom, specifically for solos.
That is why I started thinking about all 3 types in 1 guitar.

Regarding the Hi gain v Toaster, 620 V 660. I'm thinking that toasters are going to be preferable for my originals band & obviously the petty stuff......but I have small hands :(
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

A somewhat belated welcome to the Forum, Neill!
panpanini wrote:...
I also have a question/idea for our modding friends in the community.

Has anyone ever attempted OR thought of the following modification on a 3 pickup Ric:
Neck=Vintage Toaster, Middle=High Gain, Bridge=Humbucker

The 350SH Susanna Hoffs model has a Toaster/Toaster/Humbucker (neck/middle/bridge) arrangement. I have /had a 620 that had a similar mod, but with High Gain/High Gain/Humbucker.
P4060263.JPG
I play mainly rhythm :( , so I really don't have any relevant commentary on what they sounded like for leads.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
panpanini

Post by panpanini »

Thank you so much for welcome!

I never knew that about the 350SH, so did all of her custom models come like that as standard?

Your 620 looks aesthetically brilliant with that PU arraignment.

In regards to some one who is strictly rhythm (insert SOS joke here) how would you rank each type of pickup for overdrive/distortion?
I think it's a safe but to say that a HB is best for lead if you require your note to sustain for longer, but I'm very curious how it pertains to straight playing.

Cheers.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've wired several 3 pickup Ricks with an HB1 in the bridge position. I use the 5th pot as a push-pull coil tap and volume control for the pickup only with no tone control. Then the neck and middle single coil pickups each get their own tone and volume control, and share the pickup selector switch.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Notes hold out longer if you use a boost pedal and make the semi-hollow sustain argument moot. I play with a really heavy hitting loud drummer and prefer HiGains. HiGains, boost pedal, OD and a Marshall clone get me Jim Martin FNM tones on my 350. I I had 3 HB1’s on my 370 and I Ditched a HB1 for a HiGain at the bridge for better lead tone.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Neill, do yourself a favor and buy one of Dane's harnesses if you do this (aceonbass here above). HB's are great pickups but they don't sound their best with the stock RIC pots. Dane does the right values that make them come alive.

I have the replica of the Jackson Browne prototype that Len Moskowitz commissioned Larry Davis to make (from a stock 350 Liverpool 24-fretter). It is hg/hg/hb with a very unusual wiring layout. Search for that here and if I get some time I'll try to make a demo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason, I would love to see that video! :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”