New Jetglo 360! But…did I get a bad fretboard?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

knightrich

New Jetglo 360! But…did I get a bad fretboard?

Post by knightrich »

I just received my new 2021 Jetglo 360 and the neck feels great! Everything about it is perfect! Except, it looks like there was a knot in the fretboard and it almost seems like a hole filled in with lacquer.

What would you all do? Do I return it? Is this a defect?
Attachments
8E03A0DC-D7C7-4111-889A-B1B7AFA38F7E.jpeg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: New Jetglo 360! But…did I get a bad fretboard?

Post by jdogric12 »

I can't tell from the pic. Others may be able to. Either way I'd chalk it up to "personality." I had a 4004Cii TG once with a cool little snake figure in the grain on the back of the body...
Rick 4004Cii TG snake.jpg
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Yeah you are right. My only concern was if years down the road I needed to regret and had to remove lacquer that there would be this odd hole that could be felt on the fretboard or that it would weaken it somehow.

The neck on this one is decidedly more “c” shaped than my Mapleglo and is perfect in my hands! My other concern is that if I sent it back I wouldn’t get as good a neck (for me) on the next one. Not to mention how long the wait may be on the next one too!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard: If I found this blemish on the fretboard my brand new Rickenbacker 360 I would be checking with the Factory. I expect that a replacement instrument would see the neck being the same shape on your new instrument minus the blemish. It never hurts to check in with customer service to see what they have to say.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Just become a famous musician, and future generations of guitarists will drool over that one Rickenbacker everyone knows was yours by that knot in the fretboard. ;) Reminds me a bit of the Great Red Spot on Jupiter.

Functionality-wise, you don't have anything to worry about. It's not weakening the neck, and whoever refrets it will (or at least should!) know what to do.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Haha I love it! My buddy said I should call it knottingham. I have 48 hours to decide. Trying not to be OCD about it and just get over it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The more I think about this example the more I think I would exchange it if you're able to do so through the retailer. Who knows how a funky spot in wood might act over time? I could see finish sinking in there. And of course there is the problem of resale value.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

I will probably return it. It bugs me lol. Unfortunately they won’t have anymore until 12-18 months (they’re estimate).
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

No reason to settle on a new guitar with a defect. You paid for a perfect instrument.

I'd return it for another one. In a heartbeat. I'm actually surprised that it passed final inspection.

Another dealer may have one, and be willing to do a deal with your retailer to keep a good customer satisfied. It's worth a shot.
Last edited by stringsncords on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

I’m tempted to return it but I’d have to wait so long on another one. Ahhhh decisions!!!
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Your guitar is clearly a "B stock" item. The cosmetic defect will probably bug you until you get rid of it. Perhaps (like another mfr's. forum that I frequent) a RIC owner will come along here to apologize, tell you to get in touch with RIC, and that he'll "make it right." Having an obvious manufacturing defect, it would be the right thing to do. I'd guess that it wouldn't be beyond RIC's ability to pull a replacement off the line for you. My two cents.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

I did end up calling today and they said that they saw my email with the pictures and were getting ready to respond. They said it is just a knot and that there is no way they would send it out of the factory with anything that could cause structural, durability, play issues and that there was nothing to worry about. Sounds like they wouldn’t replace it anyways, and would just say send it back. I am considering keeping it because the neck really does feel great.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard, I am glad you checked in with RIC.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

They said they have some Jetglo 330s on order so I may send it back and wait for one of those. Cheaper too.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Suit yourself, but I think you're letting RIC and your dealer off easy if you keep it; it's an imperfect guitar, and it's noticeable.

Kinda like having the Prom Queen with a big pimple on her nose. I'd swap it for a 330, but that's just my opinion. Be happy with your decision.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”