360/12 re-fret options and tech recommendations

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

akpasta

360/12 re-fret options and tech recommendations

Post by akpasta »

Hello!

I've got an early 80s 360/12 that may soon need a re-fret. I do a lot of capo-ing and eventually that wears the frets out, puts divots right in em. Rick frets happen to be so short to begin with that I'm worried they can't be salvaged. What are the options on vintage Rickenbackers? I've been told it's very tricky due to the lacquer.

I'm located in the San Francisco bay area and there's really only one shop I'd somewhat trust to work on a Rick, but they're booked out months and are very expensive. I'm curious if there are any other techs that are especially knowledgeable on rickenbackers someone might recommend.

Thanks!
collin

Re: 360/12 re-fret options and tech recommendations

Post by collin »

It's no trickier to refret a Rickenbacker than it is a maple neck Fender from the 50s (which are lacquered on the fretboard), so don't let somebody tell you that the board needs to be refinished!

The best shops are neither inexpensive or quick - you really get what you pay for with fretwork. I'm more familiar with places here in Southern California but there should be a handful of qualified people in the Bay Area who could handle this for you.

For your needs, I would suggest a fret wire that is slightly taller than the factory frets (but not that noticeable to the untrained eye). #148 wire from StewMac is a great option for vintage Ricks, and slightly higher than factory.

In those days, the factory was all about level frets, not necessarily thinking of longevity. So they would install full height frets, clear coat everything, then sand/level the frets, taking the finish off and exposing the crown. So that lost a bit of height right there. Replacing with the full fret height without also refinishing the fretboard should make it a lot more playable.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Mark Arnquist did a full-width refret over the binding on my 370/12 because my stubby bass player fingers needed more room. I think he said he used Martin frets. He then replaced the nut to use the extra width and incorporate tighter, more precise string pairs. The difference in playability for me was quite dramatic.
Attachments
nuts.jpg
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Stainless steel frets?
collin

Post by collin »

teb wrote:Mark Arnquist did a full-width refret over the binding on my 370/12 because my stubby bass player fingers needed more room. I think he said he used Martin frets. He then replaced the nut to use the extra width and incorporate tighter, more precise string pairs. The difference in playability for me was quite dramatic.
Great setup techniques here.

But as a note to others here — Whatever you do, DO NOT SEND GUITARS TO MARK ARNQUIST.

The setup details you share above are great, and Mark is talented but he is not trustworthy. Mark received a guitar over a year ago from me for setup work and has since ignored all forms of communication. I’m looking into legal recourse as we speak.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Interesting...and rather disturbing. I haven't dealt with Mark in about 12 years, so I don't know what's up with that, but any good luthier could do the work.
akpasta

Post by akpasta »

OK, so def not sending my guitar to Mark Arnquist.

Does anyone have a recommendation for San Francisco Bay Area Rickenbacker tech really good at a re-fret? I'd also be interested in an LA tech if they're really good. It's not too tough to ship a guitar down there.
collin

Post by collin »

Best tech for this sort of thing in LA is Norik Renson of Renson Guitar Shop in North Hollywood

http://rensonguitarshop.com/

He has done many refrets on Rickenbackers (and even more extensive surgeries like neck resets).
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I am very fortunate. My local tech is a Rick aficionado. He has fixed difficult low fret buzzes on my 320, tweaked my 360-12, and completely refretted with the utmost reverence my 4002 after I wore the frets out gigging. PM me and I'll arrange an introduction.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Isn't Paul Wilczynski (Studio California - "jingle jangle" on this forum ) in the bay area? You won't find anybody anywhere working on Rickenbackers that does better work than he does.

https://www.studio-california.com/about/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Teb, it is my understanding that Paul has relocated to Europe.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

teb wrote:Isn't Paul Wilczynski (Studio California - "jingle jangle" on this forum ) in the bay area? You won't find anybody anywhere working on Rickenbackers that does better work than he does.

This popular RRF opinion has been quietly but intensely debated over the last 10 years.

Larry Davis (Davis Guitar Works) is now widely considered THE guy to go to with Ricks for refinishing and restoration. He's done about 20 of mine and I notice a huge improvement over the previous champion.
collin

Post by collin »

teb wrote:Isn't Paul Wilczynski (Studio California - "jingle jangle" on this forum ) in the bay area? You won't find anybody anywhere working on Rickenbackers that does better work than he does.

I didn't mention Paul Wilczynski because I believe he moved recently, and from the Bay Area if I recall correctly. Possibly out of the country?
akpasta

Post by akpasta »

Yes. Paul’s web site now says Italy!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Here comes Kenny Howes, resurrecting an old thread, because the topic has become pertinent in my world.

I can refret, and have done so (on a vintage Fender, no less, as described by Collin - not the same guitar). Also did my own '67 330, but that involved more work (leveling the fretboard because of bad prior repairs), and that involved removing the fretboard finish and I've left it that way. So refretting is not totally foreign to me.

I'm doing a setup on a friend's '70s 360, and it has Cowboy Chord syndrome. REAL bad.

I'd like to save the finish, if I do continue with the project. I may refer it out.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”